Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by math_guy View Post
    Yes, I still want to buy one. Three or four, actually.

I wonder if you have any knowledge of its output and you know that it actually can do what you are expecting. I could not find any specification for the machine. PacBio web site claims its output is around 370k (10x of RSII) with no mention of quality or read length (important features for lots of potential users) and no data to back up the claim.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
      I wonder if you have any knowledge of its output and you know that it actually can do what you are expecting. I could not find any specification for the machine. PacBio web site claims its output is around 370k (10x of RSII) with no mention of quality or read length (important features for lots of potential users) and no data to back up the claim.
      I don't really have any information I can believe on this machine. I just have hope. I am sort of just assuming it is better than the previous machine. Cuz...well...why would they make it worse? But...maybe it is worse. If so, then I will have to wait til someone comes out with a device that can handle long reads. I'll just focus on refining our protocol for smaller reads in the meantime. And I'll work on a better CUDA implementation for these smaller reads.

Or maybe I'll pay more attention to Oxford. I don't have a machine. I have actually never seen one or even really spoken with a lab that is testing it.

I am hoping that the first chip upgrade comes out soon after the machine is in real production. That seems to be what they are saying. But you never know. I thought we would meet our own internal timelines but we were way off. Timelines seem to be based off of hope quite often (especially our's).

Comment

They just announced a new software and chemistry update along with the high volume chip. Customers should be switching over to the new chemistry and chip over the next few weeks. I assume we will see a public data set from pacbio shortly. My guess is they held off on releasing anything on beta chips and chemistry because it doesn't represent what the final product can do.

Comment

ONT users have their own community forum. The sequencing is a very different beast, we're still trying to work out how best to use it, and it's unlikely that people outside the community can provide much help at this stage. It doesn't help that ONT are advancing their technology quicker than papers can be published -- everything is obsolete by the time it gets through peer review.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
            ONT users have their own community forum. The sequencing is a very different beast, we're still trying to work out how best to use it, and it's unlikely that people outside the community can provide much help at this stage. It doesn't help that ONT are advancing their technology quicker than papers can be published -- everything is obsolete by the time it gets through peer review.
            I am surprised that one of their condition for community? membership is purchase of a starter pack. One does not need to own a sequencing machine or buy something to be a member of SEQanswers community and it is not run by a commercial sequencing platform supplier either.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
              I am surprised that one of their condition for community?
              That doesn't make sense. I can't work out what you're trying to point out.

Basically, ONT want to be able to say things associated with technological development that shouldn't be released to the general public. This helps them to develop the technology to better accommodate the needs of users, but they've been burnt a few too many times by people demanding perfection from what is still an emerging technology. The community that they have set up allows them to do this, and also allows other users to ask questions in a similar environment.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses