Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cufflinks reports extremely high FPKMs for short transcripts

I'm seeing some odd FPKM values reported by cufflinks and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this or can suggest an explanation. Essentially, the shorter a transcript is the higher its FPKM. The shortest transcripts reach ridiculous levels. In a typical experiment, I see:

Code:
    Tscript Length     avg. FPKM
    --------------     ---------
    >1000              20
    200 - 1000         30
    100 - 200          2,500
    < 100              130,000
    If I examine the alignment in IGV or directly in the SAM file I find that the short transcripts do not in fact have ridiculously high coverage. For example a 90bp transcript with an FPKM over 50,000 has just 18 reads (total reads in the experiment is about 20M).

I see this with cufflinks-1.1.0 and 1.0.3, with and without upper quartile normalization.

It's good that I'm not alone.

Code:
    79      447370
    86      148939
    100     50999.3
    101     142356
    103     101460
    103     216072
    Same result observed for my cufflinks reports. As transcripts length longer, FPKM value also decrease to more reasonable level. Hope for any kind helps!

Comment

I've been reading through the supplemental methods of the Cufflinks paper and I have a theory about why this is happening. Rather than use the actual transcript length in FPKM calculations, Cufflinks uses what they call an adjusted length. This is intended to account for the fact that the expected fragment length will affect the probability of selecting a fragment from a transcript of a given length.

If I'm following the math correctly then this formula does not really handle cases where the transcript length is significantly shorter than the expected fragment length. It will produce an extremely low value for the adjusted transcript length, which will then cause the high FPKMs.

I've sent an email to the cufflinks developers to ask them if this sounds reasonable. In the meantime I think I'll just exclude transcripts shorter than 200bp or at least ignore the FPKM values for intra-sample expression comparisons.

Comment

Thanks for your information and proactive action. I did gone through that but never thought of it as a problem. Hope you can get a good answer from the developers.

I am now using RSEM for the calculation of readcount then input for DESeq for differential expression analysis. This way perform well and looks better for me. I'm afraid that removing 200 bp transcripts might removing some useful information for the analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by cram View Post
          I've been reading through the supplemental methods of the Cufflinks paper and I have a theory about why this is happening. Rather than use the actual transcript length in FPKM calculations, Cufflinks uses what they call an adjusted length. This is intended to account for the fact that the expected fragment length will affect the probability of selecting a fragment from a transcript of a given length.

If I'm following the math correctly then this formula does not really handle cases where the transcript length is significantly shorter than the expected fragment length. It will produce an extremely low value for the adjusted transcript length, which will then cause the high FPKMs.

I've sent an email to the cufflinks developers to ask them if this sounds reasonable. In the meantime I think I'll just exclude transcripts shorter than 200bp or at least ignore the FPKM values for intra-sample expression comparisons.
          Hi,

I have been reading the supplemental material of Cufflinks.
          And I have been hurt by the lots of formulas on it.
          Could you tell me the reason why they use the adjusted length? What does the length mean in math or biology?

Thanks,

Comment

Hey cram,

did you find a solution to this in the end? Is it different in newer versions of Cufflinks?

I'm actually struggling with a connected problem and intra-sample comparisons:

Is there a possibility to compare the transcript abundance within certain group of transcripts (e.g. Gene_A, Gene_B, Gene_C) to actually rank them by expression (i.e. Gene_A is higher expressed than Gene_C)?

I tried counting within exons and normalizing to the lengths exon-summed transcripts, but there might still be some bias, since some exons will also overlap...

Any ideas?

Comment

Thanks for pointing this phenomenon out.

I am using cufflinks extensively and noticed this behavior somewhere around the Cufflinks version 1.0.0 release. Older versions of Cufflinks did not seem to have this issue.

Currently I circumvent this by removing or ignoring transcripts shorter than 250bp. Plotting the distribution of FPKMs shows this to be a reasonable cutoff value. I agree that the abnormal increase in FPKM may be tied to the fragment length.

I agree that there is a problem here and hope the developers address it.

Best regards

Comment

this is a common issue - it's in eXpress as well. in fact any of these tools that uses the "effective length correction" for read counts or expressions. apparently there isn't currently a logical way to fix it. additionally it's only theoretical that this adjustment improves expressions. if you're counting hits in a more general way, like with htseq-count, this adjustment is not made. I don't like it because it says that there's reads in my data that don't exist! it should be obvious that counts for features that are so close to the expected fragment length may be unreliable or lower than they *should* be - that's good enough information for me.

if you want you can disable this adjustment in cufflinks by using their '--no-effective-length-correction' option. this fixes it. i've, for example, compared read counts reverse calculated from the FPKM's cufflinks reports using this option and they are identical to counts i get through a normal naive counting method (at the gene locus level).

by the way you can get those "raw" counts back from cufflinks by keeping the "Raw Map Mass" value it reports during its run and then using the following calculation on the FPKM values in isoforms.fpkm_tracking:

COUNTS = FPKM*transcript_length/1000000000 * MASS
                /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
                Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Thank you! This is extremely helpful!

Unfortunately I have run many samples without the --no-effective-length-correction enabled so I may have to deal with the bias problem for now. For future experiments I will definitely employ this option.

Comment

sorry to bring an old thread back to life- but this has been bothering me a bit and I wondered the following.

Has anyone ever attempted to empirically check the length correction algorithm?

I doubt this would even be a good test. But I note that the ERCC standards have transcripts ranging from 1995 to 274 bp in length- and further

ERCC-77 is 275 bp length and abundance is 3.66
                    ERCC-51 is 274 bp in length and abundance is 58.59

Has anyone actually run this through cufflinks using --no-effective-length and without this flag to compare how the ERCC standard curve looks in terms of RKPM (I am single ended) for each situation?

Comment

Originally posted by rufessor View Post
                      Has anyone actually run this through cufflinks using --no-effective-length and without this flag to compare how the ERCC standard curve looks in terms of RKPM (I am single ended) for each situation?
                      I did a quick test of this today and saw no obvious difference (except for a uniformly higher FPKM in "standard") between standard cufflinks and using --no-effective-length, as regards the reported ERCC FPKM. There flat increase issue to the fact that using ERCCs in the cufflinks pipeline is itself fraught because spike-ins break the fundamental assumption of the FPKM calculation. (It's not insane to use ERCC FPKM values, but it's not ideal either, particularly as regards comparing/normalizing samples)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses