Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLASTN output format

Hi, is it possible to let blastn output show taxa name, such as E.coli, not just Gene bank ID.

If it is possible, what parameter should I use.

Thanks

Originally posted by SDPA_Pet View Post
    Hi, is it possible to let blastn output show taxa name, such as E.coli, not just Gene bank ID.

If it is possible, what parameter should I use.

Thanks
    It's possible at least with local blast 2.2.28+. However, in addition to nt/nr/refseq db you need to install ncbi taxdb properly (available here). Read more from here too..

concrete example:

blastn -query file.fasta -db refseq_genomic -outfmt '6 qseqid sseqid pident length evalue sscinames'
    Last edited by rhinoceros; 05-31-2013, 01:37 AM.
    savetherhino.org

Comment

Hi Thanks.

Are you sure this is right -outfmt '6 qseqid sseqid pident length evalue sscinames' ? Should it be -outfmt 6 'qseqid sseqid pident length evalue sscinames' ?

Which parameter will control the name? "sscinames"

Comment

Hi Thanks.

Are you sure this is right -outfmt '6 qseqid sseqid pident length evalue sscinames' ? Should it be -outfmt 6 'qseqid sseqid pident length evalue sscinames' ?
        As I wrote it works fine.

Which parameter will control the name? "sscinames"
        Yes. Check here for other flags. Remember, it will not work unless taxdb has been setup properly..
        savetherhino.org

Comment

Hi, I installed the taxa.db and ran the blastn against nt database. The results are what I want.

I also need to blast against RDP database which I created the from a fasta filed download on RDP database (http://rdp.cme.msu.edu/misc/resource...52486.spitfire). I try to do the same way as I did for nt database, but it won't give me the taxa name. What should I do?

Thank you,
          Last edited by SDPA_Pet; 06-02-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

In order to use the "taxdb" data you will probably need to run the blast search against "16SMicrobial" set available from NCBI. I would guess that the taxdb data is only limited to blast indexes available from NCBI.

Comment

Hi, I installed the taxa.db and ran the blastn against nt database. The results are what I want.

I also need to blast against RDP database which I created the from a fasta filed download on RDP database (http://rdp.cme.msu.edu/misc/resource...52486.spitfire). I try to do the same way as I did for nt database, but it won't give me the taxa name. What should I do?

Thank you,
              Doesn't RDP provide tools for taxa assignment?
              savetherhino.org

Comment

I don't know. I download the fasta format and convert to NCBI database. I blast against it, but no taxa assignment.

Comment

I wonder why you want to blast RDP database for taxonomic assignment instead of using RDP Classifier, which has become a standard way for this task.

Comment

I don't know. I download the fasta format and convert to NCBI database. I blast against it, but no taxa assignment.
                    The taxonomy assignment in BLAST is only going to work when you are blasting against an NCBI database (e.g. nr, nt, RefSeq, etc.). BLAST uses the NCBI gi numbers to link the entries in the taxonomy database to the the entries in the BLAST database.

Comment

If you want to do a taxonomic assignment for ribosomal RNAs (metagenome or something), look at mothur package instead of BLAST. You will not have to parse results manually or write the script or whatever - a couple commands in mothur and you have a nice list of taxa, along with how many sequences went to every taxon and which ones exactly. Not sure about the algorithms it uses, but it does its job well enough in our experience.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses