No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of samtools

Hi, I'm new in this field, there is one problem I want to ask

I have already sorted and index the .sam file, and it changed to .bam.bai file
    I want to check the result of .bam.bai file, but I don't know use which of samtools command. I want to view them in a .map file.

Thanks

Originally posted by littlebio View Post
    Hi, I'm new in this field, there is one problem I want to ask

I have already sorted and index the .sam file, and it changed to .bam.bai file
    I want to check the result of .bam.bai file, but I don't know use which of samtools command. I want to view them in a .map file.

Thanks
    Please don't post the same question twice in multiple threads, since then it gets difficult to respond.

Anyhow, you should have an associated BAM file with your BAI file. The BAI file is an index of your BAM file. I am not sure of a BAM to .map converter, though I would ask why you need a .map file. Many genome browsers like IGV work well with BAM files and variant callers like the one in samtools or GATK also play nice with BAM files.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
      Please don't post the same question twice in multiple threads, since then it gets difficult to respond.

Anyhow, you should have an associated BAM file with your BAI file. The BAI file is an index of your BAM file. I am not sure of a BAM to .map converter, though I would ask why you need a .map file. Many genome browsers like IGV work well with BAM files and variant callers like the one in samtools or GATK also play nice with BAM files.
      Sorry for posting twice, and thanks for your reply.

I saw another result that the output is a MAP file, so I think maybe it is easy to output that way. Actually, I only want to see the result of BAI file, no matter what kind of output. And I tried the command:
      samtools view XXXXX.bam.bai
      it did not work, so I want to know how to convert this file correctly.

Thank you

Comment

I saw another result that the output is a MAP file, so I think maybe it is easy to output that way. Actually, I only want to see the result of BAI file, no matter what kind of output. And I tried the command:

Thank you
        The command you want is:

Code:
        samtools view XXXXX.bam
        The .bai file does not store your alignments, the .bam file does.

Comment

Thank you
          Also, you might want to list the commands you used starting at the .sam file. The commands:
          Code:
          samtools sort XXXXX.sam XXXXX
          samtools index XXXXX.bam
          should produce a .bam file (stores your alignment) and .bai file (index of your .bam file, for fast co-ordinate retrieval).

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion, I have already worked out.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses