No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternate assembly

Hi all,
    I wanted to ask what is alternate assembly in blast and how I should treat it. I mean that I find structural differences when I am doing a mapping project, but then, when I check it in blast, I find that it firs perfectly alternate assembly, so it is not a real variation? how can I avoid this situation?
    THANKS!!!

The alternate assembly or often assemblies are just that alternate build of your given genome from different individuals. The simple solution is to first pick the reference genome you want to use then in blast settings select to blast just this reference so you don't get hits from all the possible assemblies. Unfortunately, Watson and Venter are not identical twins so even their builds are not identical...go figure

Comment

alternate assembly

Thank you. Yes, I understand that there might be assemblies from different people and I can set the settings in blast not to see it, but the question is not whether I see it or not but whether the structural difference I found when mapping to the reference genome is a mutation, and if I understand correctly, if there is an alternate assembly like this, this is not a real mutation?

Comment

Originally posted by litali View Post
        Hi all,
        I wanted to ask what is alternate assembly in blast and how I should treat it. I mean that I find structural differences when I am doing a mapping project, but then, when I check it in blast, I find that it firs perfectly alternate assembly, so it is not a real variation? how can I avoid this situation?
        THANKS!!!
        True versus false variation is dependent on your research question. If you are looking for novel disease causing structural variations you can use blast as you are doing to filter out things in the other assemblies or use some of the various databases to exclude known variants in other datasets. But if you are looking of misrepresented variants you are talking more about annotation and counting versus filtering. But the short answer is if the variant is in another assembly it is not a real/novel variant. So you should filter your reference genome variant list against a list of known variants which are available in a number of databases

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses