Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mix single index and dual index TruSeq libraries

In principle I see no issues with mixing dual and single index TruSeq libraries in the same run. The result will be that for the i7 read, the normal single-index sequence will be collected along with an extra 2 bases. For indexes 1-12, these last 2 bases will always be "AT".

I think their i7 sequences (as would be entered in the sample sheet would be as follows) :

>TruSeq_Single_Index_1
    ATCACGAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_2
    CGATGTAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_3
    TTAGGCAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_4
    TGACCAAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_5
    ACAGTGAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_6
    GCCAATAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_7
    CAGATCAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_8
    ACTTGAAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_9
    GATCAGAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_10
    TAGCTTAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_11
    GGCTACAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_12
    CTTGTAAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_13
    AGTCAACA
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_14
    AGTTCCGT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_15
    ATGTCAGA
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_16
    CCGTCCCG
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_18
    GTCCGCAC
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_19
    GTGAAACG
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_20
    GTGGCCTT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_21
    GTTTCGGA
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_22
    CGTACGTA
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_23
    GAGTGGAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_25
    ACTGATAT
    >TruSeq_Single_Index_27
    ATTCCTTT

Then the i5 read will always be "TCTTTCCC" -- as that is the segment of the left adapter that would be addressed by the dual index primer for i5.

I brought this up in a previous thread. Therein, a poster, "Vinz", specified exactly what to do in a manner so succinct I had no idea how to interpret it.

Note: this post contains information partially derived from the Illumina Customer Sequence Letter. Illumina specifies in that letter that they give limited permission to "distribute the sequence information outside your institution or to publish the sequence information in presentations, manuscripts, or publications authored by you, as long as it is accompanied by the following copyright notice:"

Oligonucleotide sequences © 2007-2012 Illumina, Inc. All rights reserved.

--
    Phillip

In theory you should be able to set index 2 of the single indexed reads as NNNNNNNN and it should demultiplex just fine. If each of your dual indexed samples have a unique index 1 you can even skip the second index read entirely.

Comment

Philip,

I assume you are asking if this will work if the analysis is being done by MiSeq/BaseSpace. We never analyze the data on our MiSeq (or using BaseSpace for that matter) so I will only speculate about using CASAVA to analyze the data after the run.

Based on what you have said above it should be possible to de-multiplex this run since the tag pairs should all be unique (but pair would be meaningless for those samples which are single indexed).

Comment

At this point I am pretty sure it will work and it is obvious how to create a sample sheet that will cause the dual indexed and single indexed libraries to demultiplex.

Illumina tech support initially claimed it was not possible, then when I insisted that it should be, backed off to saying we would have to re-run MSR a second time after hacking runinfo.xml to pull it off. But even that is not necessary and the fix is pretty trivial.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
          At this point I am pretty sure it will work and it is obvious how to create a sample sheet that will cause the dual indexed and single indexed libraries to demultiplex.

Illumina tech support initially claimed it was not possible, then when I insisted that it should be, backed off to saying we would have to re-run MSR a second time after hacking runinfo.xml to pull it off. But even that is not necessary and the fix is pretty trivial.

--
          Phillip
          Do report back and confirm if it does work. Would save a new thread from being created for this question.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            Do report back and confirm if it does work. Would save a new thread from being created for this question.
            Yes, it works fine.

The run itself was less than stellar, but Rick was able to use CASAVA to demultiplex both the single index and the dual index clusters in a single pass.

--
            Phillip

Comment

Yes, it works fine.

The run itself was less than stellar, but Rick was able to use CASAVA to demultiplex both the single index and the dual index clusters in a single pass.

--
              Phillip
              Was this done by CASAVA analysis after the run or on the MiSeq itself?

Comment

Originally posted by kcchan View Post
                In theory you should be able to set index 2 of the single indexed reads as NNNNNNNN and it should demultiplex just fine. If each of your dual indexed samples have a unique index 1 you can even skip the second index read entirely.
                Or "TCTTTCCC" -- that is the sequence that gets read if you do and index2 (i5) read on a TruSeq single index library. (Well, if you are doing PE reads. For SR flowcells, I guess you would get the reverse complement of that because the second index has to be read on the same strand as the first index.)

--
                Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                  Was this done by CASAVA analysis after the run or on the MiSeq itself?
                  It was done with CASAVA. But I think it would have worked fine on the MiSeq as well if the correct sample sheet had been provided it.

These were amplicon samples generated based on a design I provided the investigator. I inadvertently designed them using the reverse complement of the desired "A" series dual index i7 sequences. Hence, nothing demultiplexed on the MiSeq.

I think it might be possible to force the MiSeq to repeat the entire analysis using a new sample sheet. But I have not done this before. Have you?

--
                  Phillip

Comment

We have a pretty new MiSeq and I spend a lot of time changing the sample sheet and telling MSR to rerun the analysis!

Comment

I think it might be possible to force the MiSeq to repeat the entire analysis using a new sample sheet. But I have not done this before. Have you?

--
                      Phillip
                      I have done it only once as an exercise on a PC where I installed MiSeq reporter standalone for testing. I am reasonably certain that you should be able to repeat the analysis on the MiSeq. I suggest making a backup copy of the data folder before trying it

Comment

Originally posted by microgirl123 View Post
                        We have a pretty new MiSeq and I spend a lot of time changing the sample sheet and telling MSR to rerun the analysis!
                        Want to give a quick run down of how you do that? Would be appreciated...

--
                        Phillip

Comment

It's quite easy to edit a sample sheet in MSR. Fire up Internet Explorer on the MiSeq and go to localhost:8042/ In the Analyses tab, select the run you want to edit. Then go to the Sample Sheet tab and edit the file like you would in Excel. Here you can change the workflow, sample names, adapter sequences, and index sequences. When you're done just click "Save and Requeue" and let the MiSeq crunch the data!

Comment

Originally posted by kcchan View Post
                            It's quite easy to edit a sample sheet in MSR. Fire up Internet Explorer on the MiSeq and go to localhost:8042/ In the Analyses tab, select the run you want to edit. Then go to the Sample Sheet tab and edit the file like you would in Excel. Here you can change the workflow, sample names, adapter sequences, and index sequences. When you're done just click "Save and Requeue" and let the MiSeq crunch the data!
                            Yes, that does sound easy. However when I browse to that URL, the Analyses tab is is empty.

I checked and the directory it is pointing to does appear to be the correct one. Any ideas?

--
                            Phillip

Comment

Yes, that does sound easy. However when I browse to that URL, the Analyses tab is is empty.

I checked and the directory it is pointing to does appear to be the correct one. Any ideas?

--
                              Phillip
                              Did you try looking at a previous run (since you had said that the most recent run was analyzed off-line by CASAVA)?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses