Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdgeR_normalization question

I have two samples with very different composition: one sample contains many genes expressed at very high levels, which are not present in the other sample.

I tried the TMM method (EdgeR_TMM). The scaling factor is around 5. I am very new at this, so I am not sure whether it is still valid in this range. Helps are greatly appreciated!

Dear Xiansan

I think the answer of whether this is "valid" depends on your subsequent question. What is the aim of the experiment?

Best wishes
    Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Huber
    EMBL

Comment

Dear Wolfgang,

Thanks so much for your help. Our data set is a time series, the aim is to detect distinct expression profiles that may correlate with distinct developmental processes.

Our first 5 samples have similar transcriptom composition (scaling factor = 1 to 2). The last 3 samples have different composition due to the activation of a storage program. TMM normalization indicated that reads in sample 8 should be multiplied by 5 (SF=5 between sample 1 and 8). I am more of a biologist, so I don't feel very comfortable deciding whether to use TMM to normalize samples with dramatically different compositions.

Thanks very much!

xiansan

Comment

Dear Xiansan

thanks. My approach here would be to find control genes, for which you know from other sources that they are not changing between the first 5 and the latter 3 samples; or, for which know by how much they are changing. And then determine the size factors based on these.

On a more philosophical note, in my experience the usefulness of differential expression analysis tends to be inversely related to the number of genes that are truly differentially expressed.

Best wishes
        Wolfgang
        Wolfgang Huber
        EMBL

Comment

Dear Wolfgang,

Thanks very much for your suggestions, as well as your thoughts on our case. I suppose that we need to be more stringent when selecting differentially expressed genes in this particular case.

xiansan

Comment

Hi Xiansan,

I suggest you visualise your data with something like an MAplot and see if that normalization factor looks about right. If you can see that there are really a group of genes that are very highly expressed in just one sample (group) then you can get factors that high and I have seen it before.

Cheers,
            Alicia

Comment

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for your comments. The MA plot did indicate that there are a number of genes expressed in one of the samples at very high levels. It is very reassuring to know that someone else had similar experiences. Thanks very much.

xiansan

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
              0 responses