Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbler default settings? -- Any papers

Hi, I assembled my 454 metagenomic seqs with Newbler default setting. In my manuscripts, I wrote "assembled using Newbler with default settings. The reviewers asked me to list some details. I search a lot of papers. They all write same as me assembled with Newbler with default settings.

Can anyone find a paper for me with using 454 metagemonics sequencings and list some details with default setting. It doesn't have to be really detailed info.

Thanks,
    Ben

Newbler default settings? -- Any papers

Hi, I assembled my 454 metagenomic seqs with Newbler default setting. In my manuscripts, I wrote "assembled using Newbler with default settings. The reviewers asked me to list some details. I search a lot of papers. They all write same as me assembled with Newbler with default settings.

Can anyone find a paper for me with using 454 metagemonics sequencings and list some details with default setting. It doesn't have to be really detailed info.

Thanks,
    Ben

Comment

I find their manual and a table on page 28. I was wondering if this is the default settings.

Here is manual link

Please help me and see if the table on Page 28 is the assemble default settings.

thanks.

Comment

If you run Newbler at the command line it will probably spit out a help screen, and the default values, most command line tools will do this.

Comment

Why don't you just list the version you used and the command line?

Comment

Well, I was using GUI version.

Comment

As long as you list the full version number, I agree "default parameters" ought to be enough.

(The reasoning being defaults and settings do change, so without the version number you can't infer the settings - moreover without the version number you would struggle to get the same results even if the settings hadn't changed).

If this was at the command line, you could give the actual command in your supplementary materials to appease the reviewers.

Comment

Hi,can anyone tell me how i can convert any fastq to BAM ?

Thanks
                rinku

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  Hi,can anyone tell me how i can convert any fastq to BAM ?

Thanks
                  rinku
                  That has nothing to do with this thread about Newbler default settings. Please search the forum - this is probably a read mapping question.

Comment

@SDPA_Pet: Even though you used the GUI, newbler probably wrote a log file somewhere of what was happening. Find and look through that file to see if you can get the command line/options the program used.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                      @SDPA_Pet: Even though you used the GUI, newbler probably wrote a log file somewhere of what was happening. Find and look through that file to see if you can get the command line/options the program used.
                      I am using Newbler 2.6. Can you check the link that I paste. Is the table on Page 28 listing the default settings?

Comment

The page you mention contains the default settings, yes. Unfortunately, you can't get these from the log files.

However, I agree with @maubp that the reviewer's request is nonsensical. What is the point of describing parameters if you don't change them? Newbler has a few dozen parameters, if you really want to spend a lot of time, see section 4.1 in the same PDF.

Comment

Originally posted by flxlex View Post
                          The page you mention contains the default settings, yes. Unfortunately, you can't get these from the log files.

However, I agree with @maubp that the reviewer's request is nonsensical. What is the point of describing parameters if you don't change them? Newbler has a few dozen parameters, if you really want to spend a lot of time, see section 4.1 in the same PDF.
                          Thanks. I know it's nonsense. So, if I don't want to give them these default settings, how should I reply them? You know, you are supposed to answer all the reviewers concerns.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses