SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DESeq without replicates austinpa Bioinformatics 43 07-15-2014 06:38 PM
Help Using DESeq without replicates aprilw Bioinformatics 6 12-19-2013 07:07 AM
No Replicates Cuffdiff; How does the 'variability model good fit' apply? and other... Daniel1977 RNA Sequencing 6 12-02-2013 03:57 PM
attempt to apply non-function while trying DEseq vignette sample data LanaG Bioinformatics 7 10-25-2011 12:19 PM
DESeq: question about with replicates and without any replicates. nb509 RNA Sequencing 2 10-25-2011 06:04 AM

Old 04-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
Sora Yoon

Smile Can I apply DESeq to techinical replicates??

Hi guys,

I've been dealing with RNA-seq count data consisting of several technical replicates.
And I tried to normalize the data using DESeq.
However, the DESeq author suggested to apply DESeq to biological replicates not to technical replicates.
Anyone knows the reason for this??
Why can't I apply DESeq normalization to my technical replicates????

Also, is there any method to normalize a technical replicates effectively??

Thank you for reading.
Sora Yoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:03 AM   #2
bastianwur

The normalization is meant to take the biological variations into account, IIRC.
The variance in the technical replicates will be lesser than in biological replicates, therefore the normalization will not have the right impact (less, I'd guess).

If you're sure that there is no big biological variation between your tested subjects, then I guess it might not matter too much at the end, but I'd be cautious about the results.
bastianwur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:23 AM   #3
Sora Yoon

Question a confused point...

Thanks for your reply. But I thought that DESeq normalization simply adjusts each column's library size for further analysis. So, I thought that I could use DESeq to technical replicates if there there is library size difference between each of the samples. Do I have some misunderstandings???
Old 04-16-2015, 02:35 AM   #4
Sora Yoon

Question a confused point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastianwur View Post
The normalization is meant to take the biological variations into account, IIRC.
The variance in the technical replicates will be lesser than in biological replicates, therefore the normalization will not have the right impact (less, I'd guess).

If you're sure that there is no big biological variation between your tested subjects, then I guess it might not matter too much at the end, but I'd be cautious about the results.
Thanks for your reply. But I thought that DESeq normalization simply adjusts each column's library size for further analysis. So, I thought that I could use DESeq to technical replicates if there there is library size difference between each of the samples. Do I have some misunderstandings???
Old 04-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
fanli

Simon and others can correct me if I'm wrong, but the per-library normalization strategy taken by DESeq should be applicable to technical replicates as well. It is the model for differential expression that models biological variance rather than technical.

You should also know that technical variance in RNA-seq is generally considered trivial compared to biological..
fanli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
dpryan
Devon Ryan

The normal method is to simply sum the counts across technical replicates and use those. In fact, this is also by far the most legitimate method to deal with technical replicates, unless you want to use a tool that implements mixed-effects modeling (and then you get to deal with all of the annoyances of mixed-effects models). I would be surprised if not doing this didn't lead to aberrant results, even if you try to throw extra model terms in to compensate for the design aberrantly thinking it has more samples than it really does.

Edit: BTW, as fanli wrote, the library size normalization itself shouldn't have any issues.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:54 AM   #7
Caroline336

Hi, maybe you can ask the professionals in CD Genomics, they can help you with your problem.
Caroline336 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deseq, rna-seq, technical replicates