SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DESeq2 Analysis of Time Series data and model comparison Beebola Bioinformatics 7 07-13-2015 04:26 PM
Time series issue,no time 0! giuliano stirparo Bioinformatics 0 01-13-2014 06:37 AM
Cuffdiff time series bsuac6 Bioinformatics 7 11-15-2013 12:48 PM
Cuffdiff time series with two groups sindrle Bioinformatics 11 10-14-2013 03:41 PM
RNAseq time series data w/ controls for each time point Mocca RNA Sequencing 2 08-07-2013 11:12 PM

Old 09-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
jaw_bio

Default DESeq2 Circadian Time Series without time 0

Hello all,

I am using DESeq2 for the following analysis:

I have RNA-Seq data from 2 tissues and 4 time points, with 4 replicates for each condition. I have two tissues (liver and scn) and four timepoints (3,9,15,21).

I'm trying to test for genes where time is a factor, so my full model is

Code:
~ tissue + time + tissue:time
while my reduced is simply

Code:
~ tissue
Things look good, but when the results get returned, the model has compared each timepoint to time 3:
Code:
> resultsNames(dds)
[1] "Intercept"           "tissue_scn_vs_liver" "time_9_vs_3"         "time_15_vs_3"        "time_21_vs_3"       
[6] "tissuescn.time9"     "tissuescn.time15"    "tissuescn.time21"
Since I'm looking for evidence of circadian regulation, time 3 isn't really a baseline starting point as in the fission data from the Bioconductor rnaseqGene workflow.

I'm thinking pairwise comparisons across time points might be better, even though the number of points is small (4).

I'd appreciate any help in building my model better.

Thanks!

-John

Last edited by jaw_bio; 09-17-2015 at 06:56 AM.
jaw_bio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

I would suggest using an LRT with a reduced model of "~tissue+tissue:time". That would directly answer the question, "After accounting for tissue-specific differences and interactions, what genes vary with time?" It seems that that's what you're asking. This should expose the typical genes, such as core clock members used in both the SCN and liver.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
jaw_bio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
I would suggest using an LRT with a reduced model of "~tissue+tissue:time". That would directly answer the question, "After accounting for tissue-specific differences and interactions, what genes vary with time?" It seems that that's what you're asking. This should expose the typical genes, such as core clock members used in both the SCN and liver.
Thanks! I appreciate the response.
jaw_bio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circadian, deseq, deseq2, time series