Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does quartile normalization inflate my FPKM values by ~4 orders of magnitude?

Hello,

When I run cufflinks with quartile normalization, the FPKM values it gives me are about 4 orders of magnitude higher than without quartile normalization.
    This makes absolutely no sense to me. Is anyone else having this problem?

Also, there is a strange comment in the cufflinks manual:
    "If requested, Cufflinks/Cuffdiff will use the number of reads mapping to the upper-quartile locus in place of the "map mass" (M) when calculating FPKM."

Shouldn't this be the number of reads NOT mapping to the upper quartile? My understanding is that bad behavior -- titrating out the bulk of the reads because of a few highly overrepresented sequences in one sample -- can be corrected for by IGNORING the upper quarttile.

I'd love some answers.

~Rachel

Originally posted by Rachel Hillmer View Post
    Hello,

Shouldn't this be the number of reads NOT mapping to the upper quartile? My understanding is that bad behavior -- titrating out the bulk of the reads because of a few highly overrepresented sequences in one sample -- can be corrected for by IGNORING the upper quarttile.

~Rachel
    Glad i'm not the only one who thinks this. I'm sure there is an explanation, but at the moment it does not seem intuitive to me.

Comment

Wondering this as well.

Comment

I am also confused by the explanation for upper quartile normalization provided by the Cufflinks page (i.e. adjusting for highly overexpressed genes), and would appreciate any insight on that, but the paper the authors reference (Bullard 2010 BMC Bioinformatics) makes more sense, I think.

Basically, the upper quartile normalization gets rid of any long tail on the distribution of read counts which occurs due to the "preponderance of zero and low-count genes." So it seems, using this kind of normalization gets rid of any sequencing noise.

It makes sense that an FPKM would be inflated with upper quartile normalization then, because you are basically dividing by a smaller denominator (upper quartile < total reads).

Please let me know if this is a plausible reasoning, since I am new to this.

Comment

jk1124,

Your reasoning is not flawed, but (unless I'm missing something) the only way to increase FPKM by four orders of magnitude would be if the upper quartile read count constitutes only 1/10000 of the total read count. That seems unlikely.

Also, the distribution tail of the data would not include zero-count genes.

Comment

So would you recommend that we/i normalize my data by the upper quartile of the number of fragments mapping to individual loci when running cufflinks? or should one just omit this option?

Comment

The Upper Quartile normalisation method does just essentially use the count value at the 75th percentile as the denominator.

Also, for people thinking about normalization methods I would recommend this article:

A comprehensive evaluation of normalization methods for Illumina high-throughput RNA sequencing data analysis. (2012) Brief Bioinform

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses