Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T/A base from adapter cloning - part of sequencing read primer?

Hi,

It is explained in several places such as here
    Illumina Adapter and Primer Sequences Illumina libraries are normally constructed by ligating adapters to short fragments (100 – 1000bp) of DNA. The exception to this is if Nextera is used (see end of this post) or where PCR amplicons have been constructed that already incorporate the P5/P7 ends that bind to the flowcell. Illumina Paired […]

that the adapters ligated to the DNA library in many library prep workflows contain a T overhang, which is complementary to an A overhang, that one needs to install on the library to be sequenced, resulting, to my understanding, in such fragments:

5'-Adapter-T-Library-A-Adapter-3'

Now, the website above mentions that
    the Read1 primer is ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT, which I think corresponds to the adapter + the additional T, and
    the Read2 primer is GTGACTGGAGTTCAGACGTGTGCTCTTCCGATCT, which, again, I believe is adapter + the T.

So far so good, weren't it for the fact that I have recently made my own libraries for a myseq run without adapter ligation, where I simply added P5/7 and adapter in a single PCR, and for which I used these primers:
    P5: 5'-AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT-binding-region-3'
    P7: 5’-CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGATGTGACTGGAGTTCAGACGTGTGCTCTTCCGATC-binding-region-3'

I got these primers from a colleague, and as you may see, while the P5 primer contains the final T, the P7 primer does not. That means, that my PCR-made libraries looked like this:

5'-Adapter-T-Library-Adapter-3'

Confusingly, the sequencing run went just fine (and so have runs where my colleagues used these primers) and when I look into the sequenced fragments, indeed there is no extra A between the library and the 3' adapter. I checked some old sequencing data where I did follow an adapter ligation protocol, looked at forward reads that read into the adapter part, and there I see the extra A after my library.

So clearly, I must be missing something here, because if the Read2 primer indeed contains a T on the 3' end, then the read on my PCR libraries really should fail, because that final T on the primer has nothing to bind to in these constructs, will flap around, and the polymerase won't extend the primer.
    I know that there are other library prep methods out there that don't rely on A/T ligation, so I wonder if anyone knows if they typically introduce that T/A anyway, or if the resulting adapters are there without the T/A? Could it be that the Read2 primer doesn't actually contain the final T and ignores base 1 if it turns out to be all As?

Thanks,

Max

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses