No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort fastq files in order of quality?

Hi,

Does anybody have some util(s) to sort out very large (30G+) fastq files in order of quality numbers?

I also need some help in getting the lz library (lib32z1-dev) available to make the bioawk tool on my Ubuntu 64-bit PC running a 32-bit 12.04 LTS. For some reason the ld cannot resolve the lib32z1-dev even though it has been sudo-apt gotten and installed.

TiA, Nash

Originally posted by naragam View Post
    Hi,

I also need some help in getting the lz library (lib32z1-dev) available to make the bioawk tool on my Ubuntu 64-bit PC running a 32-bit 12.04 LTS. For some reason the ld cannot resolve the lib32z1-dev even though it has been sudo-apt gotten and installed.

TiA, Nash
    Did you install the wrong library? Not sure what you mean by "64-bit PC running 32-bit OS"?

Comment

lz library install...

The h/w on my PC supports 64-bit OSes (not sure whether it's little or big endian) but the Ubuntu Linux that has been installed is 32-bit. I guess the reason for installing the lib32z1 is that libz is different for 32 and 64 bit OSes.
      In any case, I don't understand why ld can't see the libz and it fails to make the bioawk tool.

Nash

Comment

The h/w on my PC supports 64-bit OSes (not sure whether it's little or big endian) but the Ubuntu Linux that has been installed is 32-bit. I guess the reason for installing the lib32z1 is that libz is different for 32 and 64 bit OSes.
        In any case, I don't understand why ld can't see the libz and it fails to make the bioawk tool.

Nash
        Have you tried appending the right path for libz to (or defining) $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Comment

libz problems

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          Have you tried appending the right path for libz to (or defining) $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
          Hmm....looks like it never installed libz...stupid me.... I can't find it on my system. The sudo apt-get actually fails saying that it cannot find the library. So, any idea how I can find the libz for my system? Most of the other apt-gets have worked magically so far....but this libz thingy seems tricky.

Nash

Comment

Nash
            Thats not an issue Just an example to suggest that the OS integer size doesn't matter is the fact that most windows users use 64 bit compatible hardwares but almost all windows versions before windows 7 are written in 32 bit architecture

Comment

Hmm....looks like it never installed libz...stupid me.... I can't find it on my system. The sudo apt-get actually fails saying that it cannot find the library. So, any idea how I can find the libz for my system? Most of the other apt-gets have worked magically so far....but this libz thingy seems tricky.

Nash
              You need to install zlib1g-dev. That should give you zlib.h and libz.so so that you can compile and link against libz. Yes, the package is somewhat obscurely named.

The lib32z1 package is only needed if you are running 32 bit software on a 64 bit operating system. In your case, you are running a 32 bit O/S, so you already have the 32 bit version. This is why apt-get fails - lib32z1 is only included with the 64 bit distribution.

Rob.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses