Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add illumina adaptors to amplicons?

How can you add Illumina adaptors to amplicons of +/- 300 bp? The ampliconlength is to small to use the nextera method. I tried by PCR by adding (a part of) the adaptor sequence to my specific primers but this failed. Then I tried to add them trough PCR already on my amplified sequence but this resulted in primer dimers. But there must be a way.

You may click this link for an Illumina published protocol. http://supportres.illumina.com/docum...15044223-b.pdf

Comment

well, this is exactly what I can't use for the reasons mentioned above

Comment

If this is not working for you, there are two other options. One is to ligate Illumina adapters post PCR to amplicons. The other one is to amplify flankig non- target region as well to obtain longer amplicons suitable for Nextera XT based approach.

In second approach that you have mentioned above, If your PCR results in desired amplicons you may be able to wash primer-dimers by cleaning up your PCR product with 0.8-1x Ampure beads.
        Last edited by nucacidhunter; 06-20-2014, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Ligating adaptors sounds pretty good. I found a kit from New england biolabs with indexed primers. Problem is, these are primers, so single stranded? And my amplicon is double stranded. How do I get past this.

Comment

The easiest way would be to buy DNA library prep kit and skip end repair if you are using proof reading DNA polymerase and follow on by A tailing , adapter ligation and a few cycle of PCR.

Comment

The NEBnext kits have a double stranded multiplexing adapter in addition to indexed oligos - these kits are good value and work well for us.

Depending on your PCR enzyme you may or may not have to A-tail your amplicons before ligating the adapters. Then you can use indexed primers with a few cycles of PCR to add the index tags and resolve the forked ends. We use the NEBnext adapters/oligos with KAPA library prep kits, but there are lots of options out there.

Use 0.8x - 0.9x AMPureXP to purify your products and remove any primer/adapter dimers and go straight to sequencing.

If you are worried about low diversity during sequencing either pool different amplicons, sonicate before doing the adapter ligation or use extra PhiX spike-in. The new versions of RTA on the MiSeq are supposed to have solved this problem.

Comment

we are planning to use the NEBNext DNA library prep kit with the multiplexed oligo's. I need exactly 24 indices so I'm lucky :-).

Why are you using KAPA prep kit instead of NEB?
                Last edited by Neiltje; 06-26-2014, 02:57 AM.

Comment

We use the KAPA Library Preparation Kit with KAPA Hifi hotstart - they are a good match for the NEBnext kits as KAPA do not supply oligos or adapters.

We use these on sonicated genomic DNA - so we need the end repair and A-tailing parts. You may only need some ligase for what you are doing, so may not be the best value for you?

The KAPA kits available in small sizes however, which are good if you do not have many preps. Half reactions work well also.

Comment

Well, my amplicons are blunt ended so I basically need the total kit. And I have +/- 90 preps. The only difference is the entry DNA, since they are amplicons, the concentration is a lot lower. On average around 200 ng, which is less than the recommended 1µg-5µg input. Should I alter the quantities of the reagents?

Comment

We are using picogram DNA inputs from clinical samples and our genome has high GC% and long repeat tracts making it challenging to amplify and sequence.

We found KAPA Hifi was the best enzyme for amplifying these - it has low bias and is very efficient. With your amplicons I'm sure any library prep kit will work fine.

IIRC the KAPA manual recommends 100ul reaction volumes. Library prep works fine for us using half and even quarter volumes (25ul). Saves a lot of cash

Comment

sounds great, do you use the recommended input concentration of adaptors? seems like overkill if your input DNA is so much lower.

Comment

Yes, use less adapters that's actually very important sorry I forgot to mention this!

I check my A-tailed libraries on the Qubit and use a 20:1 molar ratio of adapters. The idea is to maximise the efficiency of ligation and minimise formation of adapter dimers.

Most kits use adapter stocks at 15 micromolar. If you are not certain just reduce/dilute the adapter by the same ratio as your input DNA compared to recommended input DNA.

Comment

That's a clear answer, thanks :-).

Comment

I agree that matching your adapter to input molarity should solve any problems with adapter dimers if you ligate. However, out of curiosity, have you tried doing the same with your primers? Primers are a lot cheaper than library prep with ligation and a quick titration of primers may help. I assume you'd be using primers with some truseq sequence then adding the rest in a second amp (flow cell and index)? I guess it is really all dependent on how much you are willing to spend on time or money. Sometimes it's worth fine-tuning if you have many experiments to do. I'm sort of surprised you'd need to lower you adapter conc if the input is amplicons, unless they are gel purified (maybe not clean amps?)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses