SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quality score after Illumina run - should it be coverted before samtools and gatk? gfmgfm Bioinformatics 9 08-31-2013 11:01 PM
SNP quality score in Samtools pileup wangzkai Bioinformatics 5 09-21-2011 07:32 AM
Samtools pileup indel ploidy nilshomer Bioinformatics 1 06-30-2010 08:31 AM
deletion '*' has quality score in pileup? luxmare Bioinformatics 3 06-13-2010 04:20 PM
BWA dbwtsw to Samtools Pileup - what is the score? aldrinyim Bioinformatics 2 01-19-2010 07:11 AM

Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
christophpale

Default Samtools pileup indel quality score computation

Hi,
Sorry if this question has been asked before (if yes, please direct me to the appropriate link); I also checked the MAQ paper but could not find an answer to this question:
How does samtools pileup command compute the snp and indel quality score.
I am simply looking for the basic idea rather than the gory formula.
Surely, it is some function of the mapping quality and the basequality.
However, I have been unable to decipher the meaning of BWA's mapping quality (except that when it is 0 it means there is multiple regions to which a read maps to equally well). I understand what the score represents in the probability sense; I simple don't know how it is computed.

The reason I ask is that I am working on calling a snp caller using simple heuristics and I start with readBases and the quality scores of read bases at a given site. However, I would like to compute the snp, indel quality.
One straight forward approach is that I simply take the mean of the basequality at the variant position. What is wrong with this?
thanks
Lee
christophpale is offline   Reply With Quote