Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HaloPlex for very rare SNV detection (brian: ecc.sh will help?)

hello all,

has someone used HaloPlex data (agilent, similar SureSelect) for detection of very rare mutations (down to 0.5%)?

this means very deep data (up to few 100k coverage) for very small regions (~10 k bases). HiSeq 2500 150 PE.

Code:
    my pipeline will look like this:
    - remove adaptors and low quality bases (Q10 or higher?)
    -(?) error correct (e.g. with ecc.sh (BBmap)) - BRIAN: do you think this is wise, or will i remove also rare SNVs (the data are up to few 100k's deep)
    - map to genome (BBmap)
    - realign INDELs and recalibrate quality (GATK)
    - call SNVs, using following callers:
    --- freebayes
    --- loFreq
    --- MuTect
    suggestions? other callers for very rare SNVs?

thank you,

dietmar

dietmar,

I generally do not recommend error-correction if you are looking for extremely rare events. It should not have any impact on indels, but if a SNP is present at a 0.5% rate, it WILL be corrected into the dominant allele with the default settings. The default cutoff is 1/140 (0.7%).

You can adjust this with the "ecr" (errorcorrectratio) flag, e.g. "ecr=400" to correct only events of at least 1-in-400 rarity. Also, there's another flag, eccmaxqual, which sets the maximum quality to correct; if you set "eccmaxqual=25" then bases with a quality value above 25 will not be corrected even if they look like errors. And since you have such high coverage, you can probably be fairly aggressive when quality-trimming, maybe to Q15 or more.

So, I'm not sure if ecc will ultimately be helpful, but if you want to try it, be sure to adjust those two flags.

Comment

thank you brian,

that is was i thought...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses