No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aligning to the reference using CASAVA

Hi,

I have exome sequencing data in zipped fastq format that I am trying to align to the reference using CASAVA. My samples have been sequenced using illumina HiSeq2000 machine, 2 x 100bp paired-end sequencing. The first step in aligning the reads using CASAVA is that I need to create a configureAlignment configuration file. This is my first time using CASAVA so I am not sure how to do that. I was wondering if there is a default setting to align the read to the reference? How to pick what options to use? Can someone provide a sample config.txt file ?

Thanks for your input

Numbers below refer to lanes. You can analyze all lanes or just one (by eliminating rest of the numbers). Put the text between the lines into "config.txt" (for non-multiplexed samples).

For CASAVA v.1.8
    ---------------------------------------------
    ELAND_FASTQ_FILES_PER_PROCESS 4

USE_BASES Y*,Y*

12345678:ELAND_GENOME /path_to_fasta_reference_files
    12345678:ANALYSIS eland_pair
    -------------------------------------
    Value for the "ELAND_FASTQ_FILES_PER_PROCESS" will need to be adjusted based on the RAM available on the server you are going to run the analysis on.

There are several additional parameters that you can tweak but above example should get you started.
    Last edited by GenoMax; 10-19-2011, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks GenoMax,

In regards to the USE _BASES option, How to determine what bases to ignore when aligning the reads? Is there a rule for that?

Comment

You should not need to ignore any unless you are specifically interested in eliminating some bases from consideration at the beginning/end of the read.

Originally posted by kjaja View Post
        Thanks GenoMax,

In regards to the USE _BASES option, How to determine what bases to ignore when aligning the reads? Is there a rule for that?

Comment

I met a error when i use configureAlignment,such as :

config.txt is :
          EXPT_DIR /mnt/eql2/liutao/trans/output/Unaligned/
          USE_BASES y*,Y*
          SAMTOOLS_GENOME /mnt/eql2/my_work_for_now/basic_bio_data/human_ref/hg19/hg19_pure.fa
          ANALYSIS eland_pair
          OUT_DIR /mnt/eql2/liutao/alignment/Aligned

when i use command line :
          /illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/bin/configureAlignment.pl config_new --make

it thrown an error like

[2012-07-16 17:06:25] [configureAlignment.pl] INFO: Running self tests: 'make self_test'

output of 'make self_test':

Makefile:52: Makefiles/config.mk: No such file or directory
          make: config.txt config.xml Makefile SampleSheet.csv support.txt No rule to make target `/illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/share/CASAVA-1.8.2/SampleSheet.csv', needed by `Makefiles/config.mk'. Stop.

Self test command exited with error 2 (signal 0)

Investigate and fix errors, then run the command again

[2012-07-16 17:06:25] [configureAlignment.pl] Self test command exited with error 2 (signal 0)
          [2012-07-16 17:06:25] [configureAlignment.pl] BACKTRACE: at /illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/lib/CASAVA-1.8.2/perl/Casava/Alignment.pm line 563
          Casava::Alignment::selfTest('/mnt/eql2/liutao/alignment/Aligned', 'undef') called at /illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/bin/configureAlignment.pl line 231
          Died at /illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/lib/CASAVA-1.8.2/perl/Casava/Common/Log.pm line 310.

If anybody can shed a light for me ??
          Last edited by komais; 07-16-2012, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Did you run the configureAlignment command while you were in this directory " /mnt/eql2/liutao/trans/output/Unaligned/"? Is there a SampleSheet.mk file in that directory?

Originally posted by komais View Post
            I met a error when i use configureAlignment,such as :

config.txt is :
            EXPT_DIR /mnt/eql2/liutao/trans/output/Unaligned/
            USE_BASES y*,Y*
            SAMTOOLS_GENOME /mnt/eql2/my_work_for_now/basic_bio_data/human_ref/hg19/hg19_pure.fa
            ANALYSIS eland_pair
            OUT_DIR /mnt/eql2/liutao/alignment/Aligned

when i use command line :
            /illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/bin/configureAlignment.pl config_new --make

it thrown an error like

[2012-07-16 17:06:25] [configureAlignment.pl] INFO: Running self tests: 'make self_test'

output of 'make self_test':

Makefile:52: Makefiles/config.mk: No such file or directory
            make: config.txt config.xml Makefile SampleSheet.csv support.txt No rule to make target `/illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/share/CASAVA-1.8.2/SampleSheet.csv', needed by `Makefiles/config.mk'. Stop.

Self test command exited with error 2 (signal 0)

Investigate and fix errors, then run the command again

[2012-07-16 17:06:25] [configureAlignment.pl] Self test command exited with error 2 (signal 0)
            [2012-07-16 17:06:25] [configureAlignment.pl] BACKTRACE: at /illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/lib/CASAVA-1.8.2/perl/Casava/Alignment.pm line 563
            Casava::Alignment::selfTest('/mnt/eql2/liutao/alignment/Aligned', 'undef') called at /illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/bin/configureAlignment.pl line 231
            Died at /illumina/software/CASAVA-1.8.2/lib/CASAVA-1.8.2/perl/Casava/Common/Log.pm line 310.

If anybody can shed a light for me ??

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses