SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
quality value of fastq file and tophat narges Bioinformatics 4 09-16-2012 05:04 AM
Sort fastq files in order of quality? naragam Bioinformatics 6 07-02-2012 04:56 AM
smallRNA GAIIx raw fastq files - quality filter? vebaev Bioinformatics 0 08-22-2011 10:30 AM
quality filtered illumina PE reads Wallysb01 Bioinformatics 1 07-21-2011 10:04 AM
BWA mapping fastq files with Illumina quality maricu Bioinformatics 3 11-19-2010 11:18 AM

Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
bob-loblaw

Default Using quality filtered fastq files with TopHat

Hi all,
I want to use tophat with my paired-ends RNA-Seq data, which are in fastq format. The problem however is that after I quality filter my files using the fastx-toolkit, the reads are no longer in the same order in each paired end file and so will not run in tophat. Sorting my reads could prove to be a bit of a challenge too, each PE file is 20gb + with 100 million + reads. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem and knew of a work around? I was thinking about using the raw data files in tophat (Which to my knowledge are in the proper order) and quality filtering afterward, although I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be?
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

It may prove easier to quality filter/trim with a tool that can directly handle paired-end reads. Look into trimmomatic or trim_galore (I find it to be convenient), among likely others.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
bob-loblaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpryan View Post
It may prove easier to quality filter/trim with a tool that can directly handle paired-end reads. Look into trimmomatic or trim_galore (I find it to be convenient), among likely others.
Great, thanks. I'll look into that.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fastq, fastx toolkit, paired-ends, rna-seq, tophat