No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mRNA from Bacterial sample for trueseq

Hi All,
    Has anyone made directional libraries from bacterial mRNA using Truseq small RNA sample prep kit?. How does the mRNA prep look on the bioanalyser? what fragmentation time is typically used for bacterial mRNA?
    Thanks

Hi,

Are you trying to make a small RNA library or an mRNA library?

Comment

Iam trying to make mRNA library.

Comment

Hi,

Do you specifically need to use the small RNA kit? We regularly prepare RNA-seq libraries for bacterial transcriptomics using the TruSeq DNA prep kit with a few modifications if we want strand specific RNA sequencing.

You can get the general idea from this paper:
        High-throughput complementary DNA sequencing (RNA-Seq) is a powerful tool for whole-transcriptome analysis, supplying information about a transcript's expression level and structure. However, it is difficult to determine the polarity of transcripts, and therefore identify which strand is transcribed …

Very basically, convert your RNA to cDNA, do a second strand synthesis incorporating UTP and use the double stranded material in a standard genomic DNA library prep. Immediately before PCR amplification, carry out a UTP digestion using UNG (uracil glycosylase). Amplify as normal and sequence your library.

Cheers,

Scott.

Comment

Analysis of strand specific data

Originally posted by ScottC View Post
          Hi,

Do you specifically need to use the small RNA kit? We regularly prepare RNA-seq libraries for bacterial transcriptomics using the TruSeq DNA prep kit with a few modifications if we want strand specific RNA sequencing.

You can get the general idea from this paper:
          High-throughput complementary DNA sequencing (RNA-Seq) is a powerful tool for whole-transcriptome analysis, supplying information about a transcript's expression level and structure. However, it is difficult to determine the polarity of transcripts, and therefore identify which strand is transcribed …

Very basically, convert your RNA to cDNA, do a second strand synthesis incorporating UTP and use the double stranded material in a standard genomic DNA library prep. Immediately before PCR amplification, carry out a UTP digestion using UNG (uracil glycosylase). Amplify as normal and sequence your library.

Cheers,

Scott.
          Hi!

@Scott: I have done strand-specific libraries of a bacterial transcriptome using the small RNA kit, with modifications. Basically we only paired-end sequenced the first strand.

Now i have to analyze the data and i'm going a bit crazy about it I'm using bowtie to map the reads to the genome, then i convert the sam files to bam, and then create pileup files.

My question: Am i retaining the strand info? If yes, how can i see it? If no, what should i do to retain the strand info?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Garyron View Post
            Hi All,
            Has anyone made directional libraries from bacterial mRNA using Truseq small RNA sample prep kit?. How does the mRNA prep look on the bioanalyser? what fragmentation time is typically used for bacterial mRNA?
            Thanks
            Hi again!

@Garyron: I have done that On the bioanalyzer the libraries look like the ones prepared with the TruSeq RNA kit.

I fragmented the ribosomal-depleted RNA for 8 minutes, as in the TruSeq RNA kit.

Anyway, the suggestion from Scott might be a good solution for you.

Good luck

Maria

Comment

libarary prep from small RNA kit illumna

Originally posted by mgolo View Post
              Hi again!

@Garyron: I have done that On the bioanalyzer the libraries look like the ones prepared with the TruSeq RNA kit.

I fragmented the ribosomal-depleted RNA for 8 minutes, as in the TruSeq RNA kit.

Anyway, the suggestion from Scott might be a good solution for you.

Good luck

Maria
              Hi Maria,
              Thanks for your reply! mRNA enrichment is challenging, which kit/ protocol was a success for you. Also what was the size of your library in bps?
              After fragmentation of mRNA did you use the ethanol precipitation followed by PNk trtment followed by column purification before proceeding to Adapter ligation?
              Thanks in advance

Comment

Hi Maria,
                Thanks for your reply! mRNA enrichment is challenging, which kit/ protocol was a success for you. Also what was the size of your library in bps?
                After fragmentation of mRNA did you use the ethanol precipitation followed by PNk trtment followed by column purification before proceeding to Adapter ligation?
                Thanks in advance
                I used the TruSeq Small RNA Sample Prep Protocol. And, yes, after the fragmentation you need to treat with PNK, else the adapters might not ligate correctly afterwards. You can do a EtOH precipitation or column purification after PNK treatment. The average size of my libraries was about 200-250 bp.

Cheers

Maria

Comment

Hi Maria,
                  Thanks for your reply
                  It look like you have made small RNA libraries using the truseq kit, Did you make mRNA libraries with bacterial sample.. If yes then you must have used the mRNA enrichment kit which comes separate, right?
                  Thanks again

Comment

Hi Maria,
                    Thanks for your reply
                    It look like you have made small RNA libraries using the truseq kit, Did you make mRNA libraries with bacterial sample.. If yes then you must have used the mRNA enrichment kit which comes separate, right?
                    Thanks again
                    You can use different mRNA enrichment kits, there are many. i used the MICROBExpress kit from AMBION

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses