Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARTSeq Ribosome Profiling

Has anyone used the ARTSeq Ribosome Profiling kit from Epicentre? I am finding one step quite confusing and don't appear to be getting anywhere with Epicentre tech support.

I would appreciate it if anyone who has used the kit could answer a question for me please!

I am going through the ARTSeq Ribosome profiling kit to clearly understand
    it before I start work.

Section 3A (pg 10 of the ARTSeq kit) details the removal of mammalian rRNA
    using Ribo-Zero Magnetic kit.

3A.2 (pg 10 of the ARTSeq kit) states to follow the Ribo-Zero kit
    procedure, except omit step 3.C.3. 3A.3 (again of the ARTSeq kit) then
    states purify Ribo-Zero treated samples using the Zymo Research RNA Clean
    and Concentrator kit.

I therefore have two questions:

1. Do you follow the Ribo-Zero Magnetic kit right until the end and purify
    the rRNA depleted sample (using the method of your choice Section 3.D) and
    then purify again using the Zymo Research RNA Clean and Concentrator kit
    (as detailed in 3A.3 of the ARTSeq kit). Or do you omit step 3.D of the
    Ribo-Zero kit procedure too and just proceed to the Zymo Research RNA
    Clean and Concentrator kit. I'm sorry, but I am just failing to
    understand why the samples appear to need purifying twice; once at the end of the
    Ribo-Zero procedure and then again with the Zymo Research RNA Clean and
    Concentrator kit.
    2. What is the rational for having two modified Zymo Research RNA Clean
    and Concentrator kit protocols depending on the sample (total RNA or
    ribosome protected RNA) 3A.3 of the ARTSeq protocol?

Comment

For your first question, it is my understanding that following the rRNA depletion with Ribozero the material should be purified using the Zymo kit only. So there is not two different purification steps. They also supply a slightly altered zymo protocol that mostly just adds extra ethanol to the sample before passing over the column. This is presumably because the RNA fragments are so small that the extra ethanol is added to insure you can capture the fragments efficiently.

For your second question. I think the two different zymo protocols suggested are because the two samples (Total vs. the footprints) are very different samples. The footprints are very small RNA fragments generated by nuclease treatment, but the total RNA is larger transcripts. for the Total RNA samples, using the Zymo protocol for the larger RNAs (the >200 nt protocol) makes more sense because it will remove small RNAs (like tRNA) that are not desired, yet retain the desired larger RNAs. Since tRNA and other non-coding RNAs can be very abundant, it would make sense to remove them from the sample before library prep.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses