Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samtools mpileup and overlapping paired-end reads

I am using samtools mpileup to generate a pileup for paired-end RNA sequencing data. I am curious about how samtools handles pair mates whose read mappings overlap. With regard to the simple example below, for positions 7-11, are both pair mates enumerated?

Code:
    position     1    6    11   16
    reference    ATGCATGCATGCATGC
    pair mate 1  ATGCATGCATG
    pair mate 2'       GCATGCATGC    (reverse complemented)
    I am parsing the pileup output to quantify RNA editing at some positions and do not want to count an 'RNA molecule' twice just because the read pair mates 'overlapped.'

Thanks.

cross posted on http://www.biostars.org/p/87299

Comment

Originally posted by lindenb View Post
      Sorry, is cross-posting a no-no? I am trying to reach more people and plan to post here a link to any conclusive answer I get elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha2zee View Post
        I am using samtools mpileup to generate a pileup for paired-end RNA sequencing data. I am curious about how samtools handles pair mates whose read mappings overlap. With regard to the simple example below, for positions 7-11, are both pair mates enumerated?
        Hi- I'm pretty sure mpileup is going to double count overlapping reads. You can clip overlapping mates with, among other tools, clipOverlap .

Dario

Comment

Originally posted by alpha2zee View Post
          Sorry, is cross-posting a no-no? I am trying to reach more people and plan to post here a link to any conclusive answer I get elsewhere.
          It's frowned on because it's a waste of time for someone here to compose a good answer for you, when they don't know that you already have a good answer somewhere else.

I think it would have been better to have posted on one site, and if after a couple of days, you got no good answer, then posted the question somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by dariober View Post
            Hi- I'm pretty sure mpileup is going to double count overlapping reads. You can clip overlapping mates with, among other tools, clipOverlap .

Dario
            Thanks. I got the same answer on my cross-post on biostars.org. And thanks for suggesting clipOverlap.

Comment

Note, the above answer is now incorrect, if you're using samtools >= 1.0 (which was released more than 3 years ago).

See my post here: https://www.biostars.org/p/87299/#284421

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses