Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of single sequencing read

What is the best way to represent the quality of a single sequencing read with one value? I know the phred scores of each base, but I am looking to summarize that into one value. I thought the average could be an option or perhaps adding the scores. Is there a standard or which one would be more informative?
    Thanks so much

I saw in a post that a way of representing this could be by calculating the percentage of q20 or q30 bases in the read. But I think that this may not be as sensitive. Any suggestions

Comment

I thought the consensus is the % of bases >Q30 at the final base. You'll also need to know the read length as quality drops each cycle so any Q-score without a read-length is meaningless. You would expect a higher % for shorter reads.

Comment

I am using illumina PE where I think the read length is always the same. Now I'm guessing you take the final base into account because the quality is always the same or drops from the beginning of the read to the end. Thanks

Comment

Correct. The quality should alway drop once passed the initial few bases where they appear to increase (an artefact of the RTA software). I think if you go to the Illumina website they give you estimated specs of each instrument described as % bases >Q30 for a few types of read variety.

Comment

Originally posted by elfuser View Post
            What is the best way to represent the quality of a single sequencing read with one value? I know the phred scores of each base, but I am looking to summarize that into one value. I thought the average could be an option or perhaps adding the scores. Is there a standard or which one would be more informative?
            Thanks so much
            Well, the quality of a given base is and estimation of its probability of being a miscall.

So you could represent the probability of a read having zero, one, two or whatever errors in it or less. For example, trivially, take a 100 base read with quality values that are all 30. Chance of having zero errors would be 0.999^100 would be about 90.5%. More generally you can convert all the quality values into error probabilities and use their product to tell you what the chance of the read containing a miscall is.

--
            Phillip

Comment

quality of single end reads

Is it quite common to have very high number of duplicates (PCR) in single end read should we also drop them or not I am taking about 40% of total reads in an RNA-seq.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses