Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's a combination of a badly written protocol and 4 1/2 hours of hexane/butanol breaking and enriching. lots of spinning.

Comment

The new protocol is just out and no hexane anymore.

Comment

I'll have a look. the onetouch should eradicate all of this aparently.

Comment

Over all do you guys are liking the machine? Is it worth?
          We currently have a 454 GS FLX and are looking into the PGM in order to have a different technology at a smaller cost.

Comment

we like it. we will love it if and when we get the onetouch. the chance to turn emulsions around quickly makes a big difference in comparison to 454. if it really gets to 1Gb by the end of the year or even half of that it will be worth investing in.

Comment

We are so behind here in Brazil. On Monday I am going to an event where they are going to present the technology. Apparently the first machines sold here will arrive only in July. What is the difference from the onetocuh to what you have now? I am assuming they are going to sell the new technology here but is always good to know.

Comment

If you think about the time it takes to break and enrich a 454 emulsion. Also the time you spent setting up the emulsion pcr. onetouch should be able to do the emulsion, break and enrich. It should produce the final enriched library. It will be similar to SOLiD EZ bead but as a one machine system. It won't be available until 3rd quarter so finding out about it in july will be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by MissDNA View Post
                  When I saw the brochure for the first time, the iPod caught my attention. What is it used for?
                  Mostly it is window dressing, though I think they have an app to monitor the machine.

Comment

Regarding the very obvious iTouch that is shipped with each ION PGM Sequencer - We had a prototype app running on iOS to perform system monitoring. We decided that it really didn't do what everyone wanted it to do. As time progressed, it became more important to focus on other things than fix this app. ION will be revisiting system monitoring on iOS later this year. But Torrent Server does host PHP web pages hosted with Apache. These pages render nicely in Safari on iOS (iphone/itouch), so the functionality to monitor progress via iOS is there - just not wrapped in an iOS application specific interface. If you want to find out if your run is complete on your iPhone from your chair at home, you can do that. Open Safari and point it to your instance of the Torrent Browser web pages. Recline chair further, drink beverage, etc.

Learn more about Ion Torrent at ioncommunity.iontorrent.com

Comment

Does the one-touch produce enriched beads or just beads for enrichment? My Life Rep didn't know.

Comment

from what I can gather it should produce sequence ready spheres. I'm assuming that's enriched spheres.

Comment

Life Rep confirmed spheres still need enrichment. One touch does the emPCR and breaking, still quite nice for the price point.
                          Last edited by epistatic; 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Dont celebrate till you actually have the data.
                            Things to look for would be
                            -the output from your PGM.(How many 50Q17 and 100Q17 reads)
                            -errors as a function of read depth. Data will become kind of noisy as you approach read end.
                            -Also look at the coverage across the templates of interest.
                            Last edited by cdry7ue; 04-20-2011, 08:28 AM. Reason: None

Comment

Analysis?

I just met with the Life rep and got the six runs per day, quick turn time to sequence data. I couldn't get information on how fast the ioncompute would analyze those six runs. Is everything in real-time and data in fastq when run is done? That was the impression she had but I found a bit hard to believe.

Comment

Computation is not the hard part, with 100K reads one can map those out really fast few minutes tops.
                                I dont see how you would get 6 runs done in a day unless you are running a sweatshop where people work 18hr days. 4 runs/day is more normal.
                                Yes you should be able to get fastq from the ion server web interface, it is very convenient. The A,B,C,D beads produce SFFs, which need conversion to fastq's. I use an old world program called sff2fastq which seems to work reasonably.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses