X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you! It worked beautifully.

Comment

Hello Again,
      I thought I would ask you a follow up question since you had a tool that nicely worked for my other issues. Do you have a script that will pull out reads that match a certain sequence with a certain number of mismatches?

I have a sequence of about 18bp that a subset of my reads contain somewhere within the read and I would like to be able to pull them out allowing for 1 or 2 mismatches?

THANKS,
      JEN

Comment

Hi Jen,

You can use BBDuk for that:

bbduk.sh in=reads.fq out=unmatched.fq outm=matched.fq literal=ACGTACGTACGTACGTAC k=18 mm=f hdist=2

Make sure "k" is set to the exact length of the sequence. "hdist" controls the number of substitutions allowed. "outm" gets the reads that match. By default this also looks for the reverse-complement; you can disable that with "rcomp=f".

Comment

Wonderful! I will try it. These tools are amazing!
          Jen

Comment

Finding RNA-editing

I have strand specifice RNA-seq data from different samples and I'm interested to find the possible RNA editing between samples, I used CLC workbench to call variants and did the comparison and in the output I have SNP and MNP variation. My question is that how I can filter these variants to find editing sites vs SNP?

Thanks

Comment

That doesn't really have anything to do with this thread, so I suggest you post it in a new thread.

Comment

Hi again Brian,
                Apparently you have all of the tools that I need for this problem that I am dealing with in my data. Now I am wondering if you have a tool that will extract a random subset of reads from a fasta file? For example, I have a fasts file of about 50,000 reads. I want to align them to a database that has a limit of only 3000 reads at a time so I would like to pull out randomly, a subset of 3000 reads from my file. I prefer not to pull out the first 3000 using head or the last 3000 using tail. I could write a quick script for this but thought I would first ask you.

Thanks again for all of your help.
                Jen

Comment

Hi Jen,

You seem to be asking all the right questions!

reformat.sh in=reads.fasta out=sampled.fasta sample=3000

There are various other sampling options too, like a specific number of bases or a specific fraction of the total number of reads, but that's the one you want in this case.

-Brian

Comment

Yes another awesome script!
                    Thank you so much. If we ever get to publication, we will certain cite your tool!
                    jen

Comment

Another question, Brian. Have you ever seen a case where the reformat.sh script did not work properly? I have made 4 subsets of read ids into name files from a large fasta file and I am trying to separate the reads into 4 different fasta files based on my 4 different names file however 3 of these work fine and I get my expected subset of reads but one of them is not working. I can not figure out what is going on with it. I used all of the same steps to generate the 4 of them but for some reason, one subset is not working at all. I then took a couple of reads in that name file and did a grep with my big file as a sanity check and it pulled the reads out just fine. Any idea here? my command line:

filterbyname.sh in=combined_seqs.fa out=subset4.fa names=subset_names.txt include=t overwrite=true

Jen

Comment

Hi Jen,

Are you talking about reformat not working or filterbyname not working? Reformat is very well tested, used hundreds of times a day, and I have only heard of one bug in it in the last 5 months, which has been fixed. filterbyname is not used nearly as much, though I still have not encountered a situation in which it failed recently.

What is the format of your names file? Well, specifically, can you give an example of a fasta entry in the fasta file, and a line from the names.txt file, that you expect to match but don't - as well as the console output of the program? Or, if they're small and non-confidential, you can email them both to me and I'll investigate. I suspect it's a formatting issue.

Comment

Hi Brian,
                          I was talking about the filterbyname.sh script. However, I just did a sanity check on a subset and it worked. Then I reran it on the full data set and it worked. Maybe I was just too tired on Friday or something and I was missing something somewhere.

At any rate, it worked great and now I am moving along with my project.

Thank you again for your help!
                          Jen

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses