Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimmomatic Help Single Reads Error

Hi. I just came across/downloaded the trimmomatic program, but in trying to use it to trim my single reads I am obtaining the errors below. I created a fasta file with my adapters (named as >Universal etc., with the full TruSeq adapter sequences). It seems the program is reading the adapter sequences and starts, but then I receive the errors about the fastq header. I can change the fastq line if I know what it should look like, but I can't discern the format required. (As it is I've had to do some manual adjustments; the sequencing facility gave me separate fastq files for the barcode/index and seq. read files ... without modification my fastq name actually ends in 2:N:0. Note also the last sequence is just my addition of a partial adapter read to make sure Trimmomatic kills it). My short test input file, and the error message, are below. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

@JLK5VL1:2351BE1ACXX:6:1101:1465:2207 1:N:0:CTTGTA
    CTTGTAAGCTGGCTTTAATCGCATCGCTTGAACTTTTTCGCCGACCAGACACACAAATGAATACAGCCCCCTCCGTTTTGACTTGCGCCCCCATCAGAGAGACCAACA
    +
    @@@DD;DBC@FFFFFHFFHHGJJJJJJFHHGCFHJJJJFFIIJJJBH(BCHEGHEHHEEFE;CEF>@A=?B?BD=ACDB?<ACDCC>BBDDDBCDDCDD@<??<CDD@
    @JLK5VL1:2351BE1ACXX:6:1101:1518:2135 1:N:0:CTTGTA
    CTTGTAATTTTTTGGTGCGTTTGTTTTTCACAACTGTGTTTTCATATTTCCCTATTTCCCTTGTTCTATTTCCGTTCGACTAGCGCACAGGTAGAAAGTGTTATTTTC
    +
    @BCFFADBCCFFFDFFHHHHGGIGIIIHIIIJIIIICEGEHIGIIGIIJIIJIGIIHDGIGHHFGHHJJIJG@EHHFEFDDCEDDBDD@?A>:ACCA>>AC@CCCD@:
    @JLK5VL1:2351BE1ACXX:6:1101:1676:2243 1:N:0:CTTGTA
    CTTGTAACTGTAACCAACTACTACCATTCGCAAGCAATTTCGAGCGAGATGGGTGTATACTTAATACAGACAGACCGTGAGTTGGGATCACACGGCGATGAGCATTCA
    +
    ??1=?4:?@@AAB>B<FDFBFGFG?<FHIIDBGEGC3CFFD?CFIAE<DADFB8;5=F>;C)=4=@CFEEF@3?BDC>??@A@BB@@BBBB>><<9>>5-::>@AABA
    @JLK5VL1:2351BE1ACXX:6:1101:1767:2179 1:N:0:CTTGTA
    CTTGTAACAACGATCGTATCCTTCGACCGAAACGGTTTAAGCTTTGCTGAAGTAGGTTTTACCCACAGGTTACAGCTGCACTACGCCAACGAACGAAACACTCGACTA
    +
    @B<DBDD@@@FDDFFFHHGHIIIII<FIGGGEIIIEHHCHBBFGGIIDGFEG@@E@CDHEAAEEEFFFD>CEEEDDDDDDCCCC?:@DDDB<BB<BDB>C@(>?2529
    @JLK5VL1:2351BE1ACXX:6:1101:2314:2166 1:N:0:CTTGTA
    CTTGTAAGATAAGTGCACGGCAATTGCTAGTTTACCGCTGAATATCGCCGCCCGGATCATTGAGTTCAACGGGTTTGTACCCCTAGGCAGTTTCACGTACTATTTGAC
    +
    @B@DDDDBCCFFFDFHHHHHJJJJJJJJIJIJJJJJJJJJJIIGIIJJJFIJJJHEFFFEECCCEDDDEDDDDDDDDDEEDDDDDDDDDDDCEDEDBBDDD<CDECD@
    @JLK5VL1:2351BE1ACXX:6:1101:2345:2192 1:N:0:CTTGTA
    CTTGTAACTGGCACAGATCTTGGTGGTAGTAGCAAATATTCGAACGAGCTCTTGGATGACTGAAGTGGAGAAGGGTTTCGTGTCAACAGCAGTTGAACACGAGTTAGC
    +
    BC@FFFFCCCFFFFFHHHHHJJJEGIHIJHJJIJJJJIIIIIIJJJGIJJJJJJJFEGGIJDCGIFFIBHGHJHH=ABDDECDEEEDDDDCBDDCDDCDDBBDB(:@C
    @JLK5VL1:2351BE1ACXX:6:1101:2311:1710 1:N:0:CTTGTA
    AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACG
    +
    BC@FFFCCCFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

$ java -classpath trimmomatic-0.22.jar org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticSE -phred33 -trimlog trimlogfile.txt head_rnaseq3_BC11.fastq test1.fastq ILLUMINACLIP:Adapters.fasta:2:40:15 LEADING:3 TRAILING:3 SLIDINGWINDOW:4:15 MINLEN:36
    TrimmomaticSE: Started with arguments: -phred33 -trimlog trimlogfile.txt head_rnaseq3_BC11.fastq test1.fastq ILLUMINACLIP:Adapters.fasta:2:40:15 LEADING:3 TRAILING:3 SLIDINGWINDOW:4:15 MINLEN:36
    Using Clipping Sequence: 'CTAGCCTT ##... (it goes on for all 36 adapter lines, where I gave it sequences for each adapter in the forward, reverse, complement, and rev complement direction. This part looks fine, but then):

ILLUMINACLIP: Using 0 prefix pairs, 36 forward/reverse sequences, 0 forward only sequences, 0 reverse only sequences
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Invalid FASTQ name line:
    at org.usadellab.trimmomatic.fastq.FastqParser.parseOne(FastqParser.java:51)
    at org.usadellab.trimmomatic.fastq.FastqParser.next(FastqParser.java:105)
    at org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticSE.processSingleThreaded(TrimmomaticSE.java:55)
    at org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticSE.process(TrimmomaticSE.java:197)
    at org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticSE.main(TrimmomaticSE.java:262)

Hi. Nevermind; I think I may have fixed this...

Comment

At a guess, i'd say you have a blank line somewhere in your file, quite likely an extra black line at the end.

If you do a line count using wc -l, you should see a count which is evenly divisible by 4.

Comment

Yes. I am running it now on my full fastq files and from what I've seen so far, it seems to be working great! It's fantastic to have such an efficient tool for trimming adapters and quality filtering. Thank you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses