SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Metagenomics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hybrid self-contaminants in transcriptome fafnir1990 Illumina/Solexa 0 10-05-2014 11:42 AM
filtering out human seqs from metagenomic reads ssully Bioinformatics 7 10-24-2013 02:37 AM
How to remove reads contaminants? Guigra Bioinformatics 7 07-03-2013 08:04 AM
Contaminants as a necessary evil? lorendarith Illumina/Solexa 4 05-29-2013 08:30 AM
HELP,why consider reads with 5' adaptor as contaminants? Euler Bioinformatics 0 01-14-2010 10:50 PM

Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
ruchi

Default filtering out human contaminants

Hi,
I am an experimental biologist and is very very naive to bioinformatics. I have been trying to analyse metagenome data from one of our sample. We are interested in understanding the gene pathways represented up or down in relative samples. We are following the workflow which was done in HMP. To filter out human contaminants i used bmtagger but i got the file output of the contaminants.
Does anyone know how to extract the unaligned files after running bmtagger?
Thanks
Ruchi
ruchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

I have never heard of bmtagger, but at JGI we use this pipeline for human contaminant removal. It's quite thorough, and carefully designed to have zero false-positive removals when processing any domain other than animal. The output is two fastq files, one with the human reads and one with the clean reads, and it keeps pairs together.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #3
ruchi

Thanks Brian for your reply. BMTagger was mentioned on the human genome project site so i as trying it out. But no I will try BBMap and if encounter any problem, will let you know.
ruchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
MicroBio

We use DeconSeq for human contamination removal. It has an online application as well as a stand-alone version so you can try it out online before spending the time installing it. Unfortunately it looks like their servers are having troubles so you might have a hard time getting to use the online application.

It outputs a fastq with your clean sequences and one with the contaminated seqs. It's definitely worth checking out.
MicroBio is offline   Reply With Quote