No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAQ Alignment Depth

Hello,

Is it possible to get the alignment depth after one aligns with maq map? I want to compute how many reads align for a defined window size?

Thanks,
    Anamika.

after you align, run

> maq mapcheck ref.bfa project.map >mapcheck.txt

the mapcheck.txt output file lists the "Average depth across all non-gap regions" in the information at the start of the file.

hope this helps!

Comment

Hi kwebb,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of this option. But since, I am looking for read statistics in a given window size, this information is not very useful for me.

I plot the alignment cover in contiguous windows, which comes in handy when I am doing further analysis. For instance, when I do a SNP find, I check to see if regions of high snp density have a corresponding good coverage.

Thanks,
      Anamika

Comment

perhaps you can use the SNPfilter command? It allows you to set the read depth in which a SNP can be found and filters out SNPs that do not occur within your acceptable range.

I realize that's not exactly what you want, but may be a way to still gain the information you are looking for.

I'm also struggling with a similar issue - not for SNPs but a pile up of sequences in a suspected repeat region. The only way I can see the read depth is using Maqview and the counter at the bottom of the screen. There must be a way to pull out this information since the Avg Read Depth is estimated for the mapcheck output.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment

Have you tried MAQ's pileup command?
          --
          bioinfosm

Comment

That's what I'm looking for - not sure how I overlooked it in the manual.

Thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
              Yesterday, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses