X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pathways API KEGG

Hi all,

First a general question:
    Does anyone know of a good biological pathway database comparison? Is KEGG an extensive one, or are all those databases for a specific type of pathways?

And the more detailed one:
    Basically what I want is, in an automated fashion, for a list of genes (ENSG###) -> get all pathways in which the transcripts/proteins of a gene play a role.

The closest I have come so far is by using the Ensembl perl api and KEGG perl API:
    1. Ensembl API: make gene object with Ensembl id ( ENSG#### )
    2. Ensembl API: get the unigene id ( using $gene->get_all_DBLinks )
    3. KEGG API: retrieve pathways ($serv->KeggGetPathwaysByGenes )

So far, so good, it works, but there aren't many genes in my lists with an annotated pathway (around 10%)...making me wonder whether KEGG is a good resource for listing all possible pathways annotated.

Does anyone know a better workflow for this?

Thanks,
    Stef
    Last edited by svl; 07-16-2010, 06:45 AM.

Another resource that can be accessed via an API is WikiPathways http://www.wikipathways.org/index.ph...ays_Webservice.

I will say try to integrate the information collected from different sources all together for you to get to see a wholesome picture. Other pathway resources out there are WIT and PathDB as I remember but I am not really sure if they do have an API to their interface...

Comment

Thanks for the help, BioSlayer, I've decided to just download txt DBs with the pathway information as using the API could get really slow for the hundreds of genes I would like to query the DB with... I have different scripts for KEGG and Reactome pathways now, will have a look at your suggestions as well.

-Stef

Comment

Hi guyz,
        I want to know how the Kegg API works if I want to automate a list of genes from P.aeruginosa organism and obtain the metabolic pathways the resulting proteins are involved in. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Sneha,

Here's the documentation of the api:

There is example code for perl, ruby, python and java.

/Stef

Comment

Thanks svl for the link. When I am downloading SOAP Lite , MIME-Base64, LWP and URI , and running the example scripts, it is not working as it says it cannot locate the module and stuff. Is there any other way that I can go about it? Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses