Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq 500 Cycle Kit - Low Read 2 Qualities

Very specific question but has anyone encountered low read quality in only read 2 on the MiSeq using a 500 cycle v2 kit with run configuration of 2x250?

I have does 3 consecutive runs now with two different labs and all 3 are giving me the same phenotype with drastic read 2 quality drop off. The runs do use custom primers but all have been used by collaborators with success and Tm's have been checked. I have done similar runs with the 300 cycle kit with no issue.

I wonder if the custom primer in all those runs are from the same batch. If primers quality is low, for example, some are short by one base that would affect phasing and hence quality. There could be other reasons as well.

Comment

The custom primers are different between the runs and from two separate labs. One set is straight from the Caparoso paper for 16S sequencing. The other set has been ordered by the lab but same sequences used by a collaborator and have been successful.

I originally thought it was a primer issue but it doesn't add up since they are not the same.

Comment

In this case it may be best to work with Illumina tech support who can remote in to look at your original data (or in basespace if you are using that) and help diagnose the problem.

We can ask you to post FastQC plots etc but that may not get us very far towards an answer (you could post them if you have those available).

Comment

I meant the primer synthesis or storage issues. Custom sequencing primers without 3' phosphotioate linkage and gel purification would most likely comprise oligo population of varying length. If shorter and full length oligos hybridise to cluster strands and prime sequencing then phasing could be an issue. This can be rulled out by comparison of phasing/prephasing values with successful runs or with read1 of the same run.

Comment

GenoMax - I have been working with tech support and they believe it is a primer or library issue most likely but aren't 100% sure. I find both a little hard to believe since it is the same issue in two different labs with two different samples and two different primer sets and Read 1 qualities are spot on.

I tried to upload images but seems they are too large. Trying to get it to work to show some reference!

nucacidhunter - The primers for read 1 and read 2 were synthesized the same. I cannot speak for storage conditions since the labs are responsible for this. The phasing from Read 1 and Read 2 are much different. See below for the two runs.

Read 1: 0.0002/0.015
            Read 2: 0.836/0.272

Read 1: 0.343/0.307
            Read 2: 1.065/0.555

Comment

I assume those figures are from SAV and represent Read 1 and 2 figures not the index read (in SAV index1 indicated as read2 and index 2 if present as read 3 and read 2 as read 3 or 4). Here are some figures from my runs with Illumina primers:
              R1 0.070/0.008 corresponding R2 0.041/0.011
              R1 0.175/0.043 R2 0.166/0.037
              R1 0.146/0.071 R2 0.188/0.104
              R1 0.099/0.122 R2 0.029/0.065

I note those figures are higher in your runs R2.

Comment

Maybe cluster densities compounding low diversity sequences?

I've run some 16S amplicon libraries (similar to your Caporaso) had had beautiful read 1's that absolutely tanked in read 2. This was after the "fix" to allow less PhiX spike-ins, so we didn't have but maybe 2% PhiX spiked in. We ended up clustering to a lower density (~700k/mm2 instead of ~1100k/mm2) and it worked much better.

Comment

Illumina tech support must have looked at that possibility (and perhaps eliminated that as a cause since tmm343 does not mention it).

@tmm343: Can you post the densities for these runs and reagent version?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses