• Show
Clear All

• samtools mpileup

Hi,

I am using the following command

(samtools view -bS $prefix.out.sam > $prefix.out.bam
    samtools sort $prefix.out.bam $prefix.out-sorted
    samtools rmdup $prefix.out-sorted.bam $prefix.out-sorted-NoDup.bam

samtools mpileup -ugf HumanRef-hg19.fa $prefix.out-sorted-NoDup.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > $prefix.var.raw.bcf
    bcftools view $prefix.var.raw.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -D 100 > $prefix.var.flt.vcf
    ) &

to find SNPs with samtools mpileup.

All $prefix.out-sorted-NoDup.bam files get generated OK.

The problem I have is that the *.vcf files contain only chromosomes 1 to 3.

What can be the cause of this?

Thank you.

Do your reference sequences and aligned files contain more than chr 1-3?

Comment

Yes, that is correct the samples and the reference contain all chromosomes.

The interesting thing is that I am running 8 samples in parallel and the results for all of them contain only chr1-3.

Now, I ran the same code on another set of 8 samples, also in parallel, and the result are from chr1 to chr13! The samples contain all chromosomes.

I noticed something interesting: the bcf file for sample 7 grew in size very rapidly while the others were very slow in comparison.

I used "kill -STOP procid" to stop the process for sample 7 and the bcf file stopped increasing in size while the others did not speed up.

The reason I did this was to see if it has something to do with running all samples in parallel in the same directory.

Maybe I should use the multiple file option and see if I get the same results.

Anyway, the bcf file for sample 7 got to be 3.3GB while the others only about 40MB. Also the vcf for sample 7 contains only the header!
      The others have info for chr1-13.

Also, the ID field contains a dot for all rows. Could this mean that samtools is not configured properly?

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses