Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion Torrent $1000 Genome!? Benchtop Ion Proton Sequencer

Does any one have any more information on this? Or had one in testing under an NDA and can now talk about it?
    Looking at the press release it seems they're claiming they'll have the whole Genome chip available near the end of the year.
    Looking at the images it looks like they're using a newer much larger chip.

Does any one know what coverage they're talking about when they say a $1000 Genome, 1x, 10x or 30x?

Ion Torrent next-generation sequencing supports many popular NGS applications including targeted DNA, transcriptome, targeted RNA, and exome sequencing for use in your research and clinical research labs.
    Last edited by ECO; 01-09-2012, 11:58 PM. Reason: added image and moved to front page

Way to catch that immediately!

The only details that can possible be extrapolated from are in this quote:

The Ion Proton™ Sequencer is ideal for sequencing both exomes — regions in the DNA that code for protein — and human genomes. The Ion Proton™ I Chip, ideal for sequencing exomes, will be available mid-2012. The Ion Proton™ II Chip, ideal for sequencing whole human genomes, will be available about six months later. In addition, the Ion Proton™ OneTouch™ system automates template prep and a stand-alone Ion Proton™ Torrent Server performs the primary and secondary data analysis.

"Just six months after our first semiconductor sequencing chip was released, people used it to solve the German E. coli outbreak, sequencing the toxic strain in just a couple of hours," said Dr. Jonathan M. Rothberg, the Founder and CEO of the Ion Torrent division. "Now, six months later we're developing a chip that's 1,000 times more powerful than that to sequence an entire human genome in about the same amount of time. That's the power that semiconductors bring to sequencing."
    Extrapolating from above:

Comment

Image of the thing added to your post...and moved to front page.

Comment

Don't forget about read length...

Originally posted by ECO View Post

# of sensors (reads) is only one dimension that can be increased. The other major one is read length. I was a little surprised to read in a previous press release that they won't officially launch 400b reads until the second half of 2012 (unclear if that's to be on both the PGM and Proton).

Comment

Another pic of chip...

and of their R&D test rack. I wish that guy would get out of the way...

Comment

There's a bit of additional data in this article: http://www.genengnews.com/gen-news-h...-day/81246184/

Which if they've quoted them correctly the Proton II chip has 660M sites, so in that case it may be that half the increase is coming from the additional sites and the rest from read length?

Comment

Originally posted by scbaker View Post
              # of sensors (reads) is only one dimension that can be increased. The other major one is read length. I was a little surprised to read in a previous press release that they won't officially launch 400b reads until the second half of 2012 (unclear if that's to be on both the PGM and Proton).
              I'm sleep deprived, thanks.

Yes, let's give them 500bp read lengths instead of 100bp on the 314. So ~260M active sensors? Either way I read "1000x more powerful than the 314" and start to do estimates from there, maybe after more sleep.

Comment

165M for Proton I, which they call Exome scale
                660M for Proton II, which they call genome scale

Lots of broad assumptions in here...but seems roughly doable without much movement in readlength.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post

Hopefully we'll be looking at more than 10GB of sequence. While ~3x Coverage of the genome is technically a $1000 genome I'd think 10x-30x would be a level of coverage far closer to what most people would consider a $1000 Genome.

If we say 660M sites as the third article claims, and a read length of 200bp, then a quick of the back of my hand calculation gives something like 30x coverage of a human genome at 70% of the sites being active.

Comment

I've summarised the news here http://pathogenomics.bham.ac.uk/blog...t-the-machine/ and added a few thoughts of my own.

Comment

What % sensors are active on the current generation of chips, and what % are occupied with beads. I thought they were still dependent on poisson distribution, so loading at < 30% of total sites.

Also- what are the implications for pixel (and bead size) with the Proton chips?
                      The chip looks to be about 15mm by 2mm (unless those are giant or midget hands), or 15000um x 20000um, giving a total area of 3x 10^8 um2. 170x 10^6 active sites implies only ~2um2 per pixel. This, in turn suggests feature sizes of no more than .5um2 (allowing for spacing between features).

It seems possible that this is now no longer going to be a bead-based platform...but with beads replaced by colonies, clusters or some such thing.

Comment

Some users (including ourselves) are managing to get >75% live wells on the 316 chip or even higher.

I think this will still be a bead-based system (but smaller beads, wells and spacing), but it's an interesting question!

Comment

BTW I would think the chip is more like 20mm^2 (old chips 9mm^2) and they will be working on near-complete loading.

Comment

No wonder Life are selling the original PGM's off at a dirt cheap price.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyBrooks View Post
                              No wonder Life are selling the original PGM's off at a dirt cheap price.
                              I am interested to know how Ion Torrent PGM customers feel about this news...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses