Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP-Seq data analysis -- unsure which #'s to compare!

Hello SEQAnswers -- I'm hoping you can provide some insight.

We recently performed a RIP-seq experiment in our lab and I'm a bit unsure about how best to analyze the results. We are very new to RNA seq and any advice would be helpful.

We are essentially looking for the overlap of RNAs between two RIPs, minus any background against an IgG control.

For example, each experiment contained:
    IP with Antibody-A beads
    IP with Antibody-B beads
    IP with IgG beads

We are interested in those genes that appear in both A and B IPs but not in the negative IgG control.

We have 3 biological replicates for all IPs.

I used the Trinity-based program, Agalma (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24252138) to assemble my reads.

I currently have some quantitative data, including expression counts and FPKM.

I'm having trouble in determining what is background and what is significant. I had originally planned to compare FPKM across samples. For instance, if the Gene X had an FPKM score of 50 in the IgG, I would only consider Gene X a significant hit if it had an FPKM score >50 in both Antibody-A and Antibody-B IPs.

What is concerning me is that one of the control genes which we KNOW should be highly enriched by the A/B IPs shows a much higher FPKM expression in the negative IgG control than it does in the A/B IPs (ie: 170 vs 80). These FPKM values are consistent across all replicates.

This makes me think that perhaps comparing FPKM across samples is not the best method and may not be valid. Should I be using a different means of comparison?

Does anyone have experience or insight to identifying background in RIP-Seq experiments? Should I be using different values or a different calculation?

Thank you VERY much for any help. It's greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by sjeschonek; 06-08-2014, 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling

I notice this thread has a good number of views but no responses. Is there a better forum/subforum to post this question on? Thanks!

Comment

While I've done a few RIP-seq experiments, I've not done one with your design before, so what follows will just be a first thought.

One simple, but sub-optimal, approach would be to use any of the standard tools (DESeq2, edgeR, etc.) to test for differential expression between the Antibody-A or Antibody-B vs. IgG samples and then take the intersect of the results. This is less than ideal since you'll miss genes that are on the margin of significance in one or both samples. However, it'd be a good starting point and would give you somewhat conservative results for the validation step.

I can think of some more involved methods that would (at least partly) be more powerful, but they'd be a bit more involved and possibly not worth the effort (give what I mentioned above a try, if you don't get much of anything then post back here).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses