Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAPA, dual-SPRI size selection

The KAPA Hyper kit has a protocol for using AMPure beads for size selection (dual-SPRI), but it seems to me that the beadNA ratio is off (or perhaps I am not understanding the concept correctly). The protocol is below (also on p10-11 of the attached protocol pdf); to summarize, size selection of ~250-450bp fragments is performed with these steps:

Part 1:
    - start with adapter-ligated library in 50uL volume
    - add 30uL of AMPure XP beads
    - place on magnet
    - keep the 75uL supernatant and dispose beads (beads contain >450bp fragments)

Part 2:
    - the to the 75uL supernatant, add 10uL of AMPure XP beads
    - place on magnet
    - discard supernatant (contains fragments <250bp)
    - wash with 80% EtOH twice
    - dry beads
    - elute DNA

Part 2, as I understand, is the "left side" selection. The addition of 10uL of AMPure beads to 75uL supernatant is a 10/75 = 0.13x bead ratio; would this not lead to a almost-complete loss of material? It seems to me that a more appropriate AMPure bead volume would be 60uL (60/75=0.8) for a 0.8x bead ratio. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Part 2, as I understand, is the "left side" selection. The addition of 10uL of AMPure beads to 75uL supernatant is a 10/75 = 0.13x bead ratio; would this not lead to a almost-complete loss of material? It seems to me that a more appropriate AMPure bead volume would be 60uL (60/75=0.8) for a 0.8x bead ratio. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Supernatant from Part 1 contains 0.6x bead solution, so by addition of bead in Part 2 it will be 0.8x.

Comment

Dear yxl,

I am a member of the Kapa Scientific Support & Applications Team and would be happy to address your question.

To perform the first size cut (to exclude fragments corresponding to library inserts larger than ~450 bp), you would add 30 uL of AMPure XP Reagent to 50 uL of DNA. This is the 0.6X cut as you correctly described.

The second step would be to transfer the supernatant containing DNA fragments smaller than ~450 bp to a new plate and discard the plate with the beads to which DNA fragments larger than ~450 bp are bound. The second size cut is then performed (to retain fragments corresponding to library inserts larger than ~250 bp) by adding 0.2 volumes of Agencourt AMPure XP reagent to the first cut supernatant. This would be adding 10 uL of reagent to 75 uL of DNA. This 0.2 volumes corresponds to the volume of DNA prior to the first cut (i.e. 50 uL). We have found 0.2 volumes to be optimal. If you decrease the difference between the two cuts to <0.2, the peak width decreases, but at the cost of a higher loss of DNA. If you increase the difference between the two cuts to >0.2, recovery is better, but the peak width tends to broaden.

I hope this helps to clarify the size selection. If you would like further explanation, please feel free to call the Support Line at 1-855-KAPA-BIO or email us at [email protected].

Best Regards,
      Kapa Biosystems Support

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
        Supernatant from Part 1 contains 0.6x bead solution, so by addition of bead in Part 2 it will be 0.8x.
        Hi nucacidhunter,

So is that means the factor deciding the DNA size capture is the bead solution volume instead of the bead amount itself?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes. Bead solution to DNA solution volume ratio.

Comment

Hello,

Originally posted by liaoyunshi View Post
            So is that means the factor deciding the DNA size capture is the bead solution volume instead of the bead amount itself?
            yes, because the PEG concentration in the solution is the critical reagence in the size selection process. I've found a nice blog post about it some time ago here: http://core-genomics.blogspot.de/201...eads-work.html

fin swimmer

Comment

Originally posted by finswimmer View Post
              Hello,

yes, because the PEG concentration in the solution is the critical reagence in the size selection process. I've found a nice blog post about it some time ago here: http://core-genomics.blogspot.de/201...eads-work.html

fin swimmer
              Hi,

I also found it! Thanks.

Actually before reading this post, I just wondered why the second selection with less bead amount can capture small DNA. And I finally realize that it is the bead solution makes it capture different size DNA, and the bead solution is more and more concentrated after beads pouring in for the second selection.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses