SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extent of reduction during pre-processing cerebralrust Bioinformatics 4 05-01-2013 04:17 AM
processing the outputs of illumina hi seq kjaja Bioinformatics 10 11-23-2011 08:44 AM
when do you pre-process Illumina reads before analysis? PFS Bioinformatics 15 04-28-2011 03:06 PM
Trimming SOLiD data pre-alignment Michael.James.Clark SOLiD 0 03-04-2011 12:47 PM
Illumina IIe sample processing cost HICORE Core Facilities 12 11-28-2010 11:26 PM

Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
tusharbiot

Default Pre processing of Illumina data

Hi all!

Though there have been many similar posts, but to have an updated (and more recent) thought, hence I am posting it again.

I have some Illumina GAIIX paired end data in two separate files (with their suffix as _1 and _2). Before putting them for assembly, I need to perform certain pre processing of these file to alleviate its quality (probably FASTQ MASKER by quality control on GLAXY web tools). My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.

Thanks in advance
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
tusharbiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
ians

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharbiot View Post
My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.
what do you mean when you say, "join"?
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
tusharbiot

With join I meant should I combine the two files into one (basically the tool I am using just concatenates the two sequences from a single locus/index).
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
faozhi

I know I didn't combine them during trimming based on qual...
faozhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
tusharbiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by faozhi View Post
I know I didn't combine them during trimming based on qual...
faozhi, so that would mean you combined them after the quality screening.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharbiot View Post
Hi all!

Though there have been many similar posts, but to have an updated (and more recent) thought, hence I am posting it again.

I have some Illumina GAIIX paired end data in two separate files (with their suffix as _1 and _2). Before putting them for assembly, I need to perform certain pre processing of these file to alleviate its quality (probably FASTQ MASKER by quality control on GLAXY web tools). My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.

Thanks in advance
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
It actually makes no difference at all, but you don't want to create extra work for yourself. With that in mind, you should probably trim the files separately, that way it will be easy to identify which read pairs were retained after the trimming and which reads should be treated as single-end.
SES is offline   Reply With Quote