SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extent of reduction during pre-processing cerebralrust Bioinformatics 4 05-01-2013 04:17 AM
processing the outputs of illumina hi seq kjaja Bioinformatics 10 11-23-2011 08:44 AM
when do you pre-process Illumina reads before analysis? PFS Bioinformatics 15 04-28-2011 03:06 PM
Trimming SOLiD data pre-alignment Michael.James.Clark SOLiD 0 03-04-2011 12:47 PM
Illumina IIe sample processing cost HICORE Core Facilities 12 11-28-2010 11:26 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
tusharbiot
Junior Member
 
Location: India

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Default Pre processing of Illumina data

Hi all!

Though there have been many similar posts, but to have an updated (and more recent) thought, hence I am posting it again.

I have some Illumina GAIIX paired end data in two separate files (with their suffix as _1 and _2). Before putting them for assembly, I need to perform certain pre processing of these file to alleviate its quality (probably FASTQ MASKER by quality control on GLAXY web tools). My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.

Thanks in advance
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
tusharbiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
ians
Member
 
Location: St. Louis, MO

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharbiot View Post
My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.
what do you mean when you say, "join"?
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
tusharbiot
Junior Member
 
Location: India

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Default

With join I meant should I combine the two files into one (basically the tool I am using just concatenates the two sequences from a single locus/index).
tusharbiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
faozhi
Junior Member
 
Location: Australia

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Default

I know I didn't combine them during trimming based on qual...
faozhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
tusharbiot
Junior Member
 
Location: India

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faozhi View Post
I know I didn't combine them during trimming based on qual...
faozhi, so that would mean you combined them after the quality screening.
tusharbiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
SES
Senior Member
 
Location: Vancouver, BC

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharbiot View Post
Hi all!

Though there have been many similar posts, but to have an updated (and more recent) thought, hence I am posting it again.

I have some Illumina GAIIX paired end data in two separate files (with their suffix as _1 and _2). Before putting them for assembly, I need to perform certain pre processing of these file to alleviate its quality (probably FASTQ MASKER by quality control on GLAXY web tools). My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.

Thanks in advance
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
It actually makes no difference at all, but you don't want to create extra work for yourself. With that in mind, you should probably trim the files separately, that way it will be easy to identify which read pairs were retained after the trimming and which reads should be treated as single-end.
SES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO