Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illumina sequencing assembly

I am trying to do assembly and the file format is .qual format. I have tried geneious and velvet format but they dont support .qual format, so I have tried to convert this file into fasta file and then performing the assembly. Geneious and velvet both accepting the file now but I am getting message that "NO CONTIGS IS FOUND" by geneious and contig file is empty in case of velvet. I dont know where I am doing wrong please reply me...
    Last edited by paa6; 02-03-2014, 04:49 PM.

Is this data from Illumina sequencing? Illumina data has been in FASTQ format (with some changes to the way the quality values were encoded) over the years.

Can you post a small example from a file you are referring to as being of .qual format?

Comment

ACTUALLY MY FILE IS IN .QUAL FORMAT...i guess in this file format sequnce is in numeric format...this is the file i have got from my PI. there is other file also in .sff format but first he wants to assemble .qual format file.

one thing I have understood while using geneious that u should have forward and reverse reads to perform assembly but in my case I have only one read file so I dont know how to assemble it...

Comment

You appear to have data from a SOLiD sequencer. I have no experience with data from a SOLiD instrument. Hopefully someone else on the forum will step in to help.

Meanwhile see some past threads related to this topic:

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc
        Last edited by GenoMax; 02-02-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

THANK U SO MUCH...but is this mean that my sequence is not illumina sequencing?? then what kind of sequence is this..I mean what should I call it...I am looking for a name..

Comment

Well, it seems that you have a Roche 454 dataset. The "qual" file is only the quality portion of the dataset (missing the fna = sequence file). The "original" or "raw" file, containing all sequence information is the SFF file you have mentioned.

So either ask your PI to also provide the corresponding fasta (fna) sequence file or just create your sequence files by yourself from the SFF file using public available tools (sff_extract, SFF Tools from Roche).

But AFAIR "geneious" can directly import SFF files, which should get the most out of the data (and is probably the safest way).

Comment

I guess this could also be a 454 data set (though why paa6 was not given the *.fna files is a mystery).

@paa6: In any case you should get additional information about this data set from your supervisor. At the least start with the SFF files and see if Geneious can import them.

Comment

i have only two types of files .sff and .qual format. After reading so much now I am also thinking that this is 454 sequencing files...I have tried to import .sff into geneious but it's showing error message.

Comment

this is the msg I am getting...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Try getting the sequences from the sff file using sff_extract.

You can also convert the sff files to a text format, .sff.txt, so then you could have a look
                    at the first few lines to see if the data looks like it is what you expected.

I'm not sure if sff_extract or seq_crumbs will do that, though, or if you need the Roche software.

Comment

Your dataset seems to be incomplete (missing fna, basic stats) .. ask your PI for information about the data and the complete dataset (fna/qual and sff file(s)).

How did you receive your data? USB stick/disk, download?
                      If it is a big SFF file you might want to check MD5 checksums (in case you have downloaded the data).

Concerning the error you get during import into geneious you should contact their support team.

Comment

@mastal I did try to change into .txt but sadly its not responding...not getting open...so I will try ur link...thanks...

Comment

@sklaegs I got my data from usb and that was given by my supervisor...

Comment

@skladge can u provide me any research paper mentioning that to assembl the 454 u need all these formats...so that I can show him proof. He was telling me that .qual is an Illumina sequencing file and .sff is 454 sequencing. So, obviously if i will try to explain him that they both are the same file of 454 sequencing and I need additional files too...so, I need to show him research paper...

Comment

Originally posted by paa6 View Post
                              @mastal I did try to change into .txt but sadly its not responding...not getting open...so I will try ur link...thanks...
                              Can you try to explain a bit more in detail? What did you do and what did not respond?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses