Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does extra sequence preceeding the adapter interfere with efficient sequencing

Hi,

using a HiSeq device I plan to do amplicon sequencing on a fragment isolated from a plasmid library following restriction digestion with a homing endonuclease. As such, the fragments to be deep-sequenced contain a 11/15 base-long sequence at its 3' end, preceding the adapter sequence. Would that cause any problems at any steps during sequencing, specifically, in attaching them efficiently to the flow cell?

It should not affect hybridization to flow cell, unless it is highly similar to flow cell reverse complement. If those sequences are at 3' end of fragments they will not affect Read1, but they will result in low diversity region at the start of Read2 if you are doing paired end sequencing.

Comment

Thanks, Nucacidhunter, for your reply.

I am sorry, I might not have put my question correctly. Typically, adapters containing the flow cell binding site are flanking the library fragment to be sequenced. But in our case there is an extra sequence at the 5' or at the 3' very end of the fragment.

Using a HiSeq device I plan to do amplicon sequencing on a fragment isolated from a plasmid library following restriction digestion with a homing endonuclease. As such, the fragment to be deep-sequenced contain a 11/15 base-long sequence at its end, terminal to the adapter sequence. Would that cause any problems at any steps during sequencing, specifically, in attaching them efficiently to the flow cell?

Here is the order of the relevant sequence units:
      EXTRA sequence - adapter 1(P5) - sequence of interest - adapter 2(P7)
      or
      adapter 1(P5) - sequence of interest - adapter 2(P7) - EXTRA sequence

I wonder if anyone has used such sequences.

Comment

So you are saying that you have extra sequence on the outside of the adapters? I don't think this will work - the ends of the adapters are what bind to the flow cell. I envision excess DNA getting in the way and not letting flow cell binding happen efficiently. Even if it bends out of the way to allow binding to happen, it seems like it would interfere with the binding of neighboring clusters.

Comment

This is a difficult call and I am not sure. In theory the extra sequences should not interfere with clustering. After hybridisation and 1st extension the original template is denatured and washed away. However, the extra sequence in its 5’ end will be copied to 3’ end of newly synthesized complementary strand which will form bridge and extended at consequent cycles of extension carrying those sequences. This strand will be cleaved before read 1 sequencing primer hybridisation and the complementary strand which has normal adapter sequences will be used as template for sequencing. Here is the video link to reaction on flow cell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMyCqWhwB8E

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses