No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional MIDs in the HLA kits

We're looking to start using the HLA kits on our Junior
    They're supplied as a pack of 4 identical plates, each plate allowing you to run 10 separate samples each with their own MID.
    However, the MIDs used are identical on each of the plates.

We were discussing whether it would be feasible to somehow add a second MID into the amplicons which would allow for more than 10 patients to be run on a single chip.

Either that or convince Roche to use a separate set of MIDs for each of the 4 plates!

Any thoughts anybody?

I'm a little biased, since I do home-brew HLA typing with Roche/454 (not using their kits) but I don't think it's possible to add anything to their kits since they come with the primers already added to the plate. If you're interested in non-kit based methods you can drop me a line and I'd be happy to let you know how we achieve high-resolution typing by multiplexing > 48 patients per GS-Jr run (384 per FLX run).

[email protected]

Comment

We are about to purchase a GS-Jr (/Ion Torrent) to do HLA typing of patient and donors for HSCT. How did it perform with the HLA kits (if you decided to use it) or did you go for the home-brew solution? What about ambiguities, we do standard Sanger SBT at the moment and struggle with ambiguities?

Comment

The reduction in ambiguities is a huge advantage of 454 or any next-gen system. As noted above, we found the multiplexing with the Roche kits to be limiting and cost prohibitive. And the throughput is only 5 samples, high-res, per Jr run. That gets expensive fast.

So yes, I'm a fan of the home-brew, where we can massively increase throughput and decrease cost. Of course you need to spend the time to get it working and order lots of primers for the multiplexing.

Email me at simon.lank[at]gmail.com if you'd like a copy of the most recent manuscript describing our higher-throughput bench and analysis methods for HLA typing on the Jr.

Simon

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses