Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed RNA-seq experiment: any ideas why?

Hi all,

A recent RNA-seq experiment of mine failed, and our core facility does not know why. Below is the disheartening email that I received this afternoon:

-----------------

We have finished sequencing your 15 cDNA samples. And during our data quality check step, we noticed your samples generated low number of reads, and also, the reads had low mapping ratio to reference genome. The average read numbers of the 15-sample project is 12.4 M, and the mean of mapped reads is 3.1 M. This is exceptionally abnormal, actually something we haven't seen before.

As for the trouble shooting, we found:

1. Regarding the library construction, we use an automatic prep station with the exactly same protocol to prepare all cDNA samples including your previous samples. The prep station has been used before and after your project, and all those results seemed normal.

2. Samples we sequenced along your sample, in the same lane or on same run, all performed very well in both read numbers and mapping. So the sequencing run was done with good quality.

3. Your samples' read sequences have a lot of GC repeats like following: NCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCAGGCGCGCGCAGGCGCGCGCCCGGGCAGCACGCGACCGCGCCGGCAGCACACCACGTGACGCA

GCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGAGCGCGGGAGACCACACGAGCGCACGCCAGCCACCCGCATGCCTCGCACGGCCGCCTCTGCTCGCACG

GCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCGCAGAGCGGACGCGCACGCCGCTGCACCCCAGGCACTGCCCACGTCCGTGTCCGCGCCGTCCGCTGAAAGA

It seems to us that your cDNA samples may contain some contamination. The dataset is in our downstream pipeline now. We can release them once it is done if you want to take a look.

-------------------

Has anyone seen this type of problem before? Any idea on what this mystery source of contamination could be?

For reference: I extracted whole RNA using the Arcturus PicoPure Isolation Kit, prepped cDNA using NuGen's Ovation RNA-seq System V2, and cleaned the samples with the Qiagen MinElute Reaction Cleanup Kit. Library prep was performed by the genomics core for sequencing on the Illumina HiSeq platform.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my remaining sample. Any advice would be welcome... these took me two years to collect and are beyond precious.

Thanks,
    Amy

I'm curious to know Amy what happened in the end with your project? Did you find any way to work around your problem?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses