Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Expression across libraries/platforms

I've been searching for a while now and I can't seem to find any kind of discussion on this topic.

Is there any consensus on the most appropriate way (if any) to calculate differential expression of transcripts with samples derived from different library preparation methods or from different sequencing platforms?

I have a few Illumina Hiseq 2000 100bp PE RNA-seq samples that can be considered biological replicates, but not quite technical replicates since some are from Truseq stranded libraries with others from Truseq unstranded preps. The problem is more complex yet since the unstranded samples have ~150 million read pairs and the stranded samples only 25 million.

So far I've used the stranded reads for de novo transcriptome assembly, then used both the stranded and unstranded reads for mapping and quantification. Treating them in the same way by ignoring strand information with Bowtie and allowing for unpaired mapping when concordant mapping isn't possible gives me pretty horrible expression correlations after RSEM.

Is there a normalization method that can compensate for the different biases in library preparation?

Just treat all of the samples as you would normally and treat the technology type/library-prep-kit as a batch variable (or two) in your model design.

Of course, if whatever you're actually interested in measuring is partitioned across these then you're probably SOL.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses