Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methylation and Expression correlation

I have 3 samples and I am doing a analysis on 2 samples to identify correlated/anticorrelated genes.
    I have identified some differentially methylated genes while comparing sample1 and sample2, i want to correlate the methylation values against expression values in sample1 and sample2. And then describe if the gene is correlated or anti-correlated. I would like to have some r (correlation value)and p-values from these comparisons. Is it possible to get some other statistics measure to identify significant genes.
    I hope I explained it clearly. Thank you for your help.
    Updated: I am working with mouse species
    Last edited by balaji; 09-16-2013, 12:26 AM.

You need to be careful with this type of analysis as it's really easy to get false correlations. The big problem is CpG islands. These are generally unmethylated and genes with CpG islands are generally higher expressed than those without so across all genes you get a negative correlation between promoter methylation and expression, but it's far from clear that there is any causal link between the two.

If you're going to do this kind of analysis I'd recommend either doing the analysis separately in CpG island containing genes, or finding some way to account for this potential bias in your stats. Frankly, our experience has been that outside some specific examples (oocytes are the best one, where there is a positive correlation between expression and methylation in both gene bodies and promoters), that the linkage between methylation and expression is greatly exaggerated.

Comment

What species are you working in? Methylation is very context specific.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses