Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• background for RNAseq

Does anyone think the peaks in non-coding region could be some bias or random events, rather than some potential ncRNA? BTW, the organism is prokaryotic. Thanks!
    Last edited by nivea; 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM.

Google "pervasive transcription."

I think there is far more "noise" in transcription than people give credit too. Of course there is far from any consensus on the matter.

Short-read RNA sequencing in mouse and human tissues shows that most transcripts are encoded within or nearby known genes and that most of the genome is not transcribed.

Despite recent controversies, the evidence that the majority of the human genome is transcribed into RNA remains strong.

RNA sequencing,Human genomics,Introns,Small nucleolar RNA,Long non-coding RNA,Messenger RNA,Expressed sequence tags,RNA analysis

RNA Polymerase II can have a lot of false starts, producing transcripts that may or may not be functional:

Comment

Thanks chadn737. But my genome is a bacterial genome... So I'm wondering except for the situation of ncRNA, can these peaks found in the non-transcribed regions are generated by some sequencing bias or just random events?

Comment

It is extremely unlikely that the sequencer randomly comes up with a sequence that actually maps to your genome unless this sequence was actually in the sample. So, this is definitely not a technical proble -- the non-coding sequences were in your sample, and so they were also transcribed by your cells. (Alternatively, it could be genomic DNA that sneaked into your RNA sample.)

Why do you think that it makes a difference that your sample is prokaryotic?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
          It is extremely unlikely that the sequencer randomly comes up with a sequence that actually maps to your genome unless this sequence was actually in the sample. So, this is definitely not a technical proble -- the non-coding sequences were in your sample, and so they were also transcribed by your cells. (Alternatively, it could be genomic DNA that sneaked into your RNA sample.)

Why do you think that it makes a difference that your sample is prokaryotic?
          Thanks Simon. But based on my understanding, the "pervasive transcription" in the mammalian genomes include the transcribed regions outside coding gene, anti-sense RNAs and other non-coding RNAs. In other words, some intergenic regions just purely transcribed without turning into any functional product (non-coding RNAs, antisense RNAs). In the case of prokaryotes, I don't know for sure...

Like you said, the small peaks in the intergenic regions could be genomic DNA. Or it could also be novel ncRNAs with low expression level. If it's the previous situation, I can consider it as a noise in my background, and include it into my negative set for training; but if it's the latter case, I should definitely exclude the peak region to train my negative set.

BTW, when I mapped the reads to the reference genome, I only kept the uniquely mapped reads with tolerance of 3 mismatches. The read length is 100nt. Therefore, I don't think the small peaks are mapping artifacts...

Comment

Would gDNA contamination actually make a peak? I wouldn't think so...

Comment

Originally posted by biznatch View Post
              Would gDNA contamination actually make a peak? I wouldn't think so...
              Exactly. So it is actual RNA. Not that surprising, I think. After all, nobody says it is functional.

Comment

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
                Google "pervasive transcription."

I think there is far more "noise" in transcription than people give credit too. Of course there is far from any consensus on the matter.

Short-read RNA sequencing in mouse and human tissues shows that most transcripts are encoded within or nearby known genes and that most of the genome is not transcribed.

Despite recent controversies, the evidence that the majority of the human genome is transcribed into RNA remains strong.

RNA sequencing,Human genomics,Introns,Small nucleolar RNA,Long non-coding RNA,Messenger RNA,Expressed sequence tags,RNA analysis

RNA Polymerase II can have a lot of false starts, producing transcripts that may or may not be functional:

http://www.nature.com/nsmb/journal/v...b0207-103.html
                Thanks chadn737, I think the paper you forwarded are very helpful

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                  Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses