No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC effect to mRNA during RNA-seq preparation

Hello,

I have a question regarding the RISC (RNA induced silencing complex, especially miRNA) and RNA-seq. I'm not a biologist so forgive me if I have wrong interpretation. Let's start with what I have in mind.

So, what I think about RISC is that RISC will bind to mRNA. To simplify, I will write mRNA+RISC. What I want to understand is, what will happen with mRNA+RISC during RNA-seq preparation.

To understand this, I need to understand how RNA-seq, especially Illumina TruSeq v2 protocol works but I'm not biologis so I don't know biochemistry that much so my understanding is limited. This is what I understand what will happen with mRNA-RISC.

First possibility is mRNA+RSIC will not be sequenced. I think this because with the RISC bound to mRNA, mRNA will not be able to react to chemical reaction.

Second possibility is mRNA+RISC still react to the tagging, and any other step until the fragmentation step. At the amplification step, mRNA+RISC will be fragmented. There will be some fragment which has no RISC bound to it so these kind of fragment can be amplified and the cDNA result can be sequenced. The fragment which has RISC bound to it will not be amplified because the RISC will prevent the cDNA binding to amplify the fragment. The consequences of this result is that there will be a low reads for area which RISC bound to mRNA.

To illustrate this, suppose a mRNA length is 1000 nucleotide. RISC bound to 300-320 bp. What I expected is the aligned reads around 300-320 will be relatively low in coverage compare to other parts of the mRNA. What do you think about this?

During RNA extraction or lysis procedure (single-cells) the RISC complex will be denatured and protein subunits will be discarded or inactivated. So it will not affect RNA-Seq results because it will not bound to RNA.

Comment

Reference suggestion

Thank you for your answer. Do you have any reference to read? A reference which will explain the process of this removal of RISC from mRNA. I have to tell my supervisor about this because he says it is possible to detect from RNA-seq reads alignment. I have tried to analyse the reads and it is really hard to notice. That's why I had a doubt that it could be detected at all.

Comment

Nucleic acid extraction is a process that removes all other cell materials from the input tissue including proteins (sometimes unwanted material may not be removed completely). Purified RNA does not have any proteins including RISC. Example reference:

http://vlab.amrita.edu/?sub=3&brch=186&sim=718&cnt=1

If your aim is to study mRNA bound to RISC you will need special techniques to isolate or enrich RISC bound RNA and then purify it for RNA-Seq library prep.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses