Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowtie 2 dpad parameter explanation

Can someone provide a detailed explanation, what the bowtie2 parameter "--dpad" does? The explanation given in the manual is as follows: "--dpad <int> include <int> extra ref chars on sides of DP table (15)".

I would interprete it like this:
    1) A sequence string of length <int> is attached to every 5' and 3' end of a read after seeding and global alignment.
    2) Attached sequences are used to solve mapping issues at readends (e.g. deletions present at readends that have been falsley softclipped in previous steps).

!!!But I am really not confident with this!!!

I am asking because I realised that increasing dpad to an integer of 100, solves issues I have to face with large deletions in a merged 350bp Illumina amplicon dataset. I mean solving this issue is fine, but I do not have a clue what the possible drawbacks of this setting might be. Furthermore, as I do not exactly understand the parameter and its behaviour, I do not know how to test for possible side-effects.

Here are my option settings:

bowtie2 --rdg 5,1 --rfg 5,1 --dpad 100 --score-min L,0,-0.75 --very-sensitive

Sorry the first explanation I posted was from bowties implemented command line help. The following description was actually taken from the manual:
    --dpad <int>
    “Pads” dynamic programming problems by <int> columns on either side to allow gaps. Default: 15.

Comment

I sometimes use bowtie2 for the alignment stage of running RSEM (RNA-Seq gene expression). RSEM didn't allow INDELS in the alignments so as part of tweaking bowtie2 to not report those I was advised to set '--dpad 0'.
      /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
      Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses