Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am getting the same error:
    This is with version tophat-1.0.13. Has anyone coded a fix for this?

@2065
    AGGCCGCTCCGGGCGCTGGACGTTGGGCTCCTGGCGAACCTCTCGGCGCTGGAGACTGGATATAACACAAC
    +SOLEXA3_1:1:1:22:173/2
    EDHEGHHCDHHGHHHHHCG/HHHHGEDHH=HHHGGHF<?HHHEGHDCHHADB#6@=#8AAG:@@E=1#@>#
    Saw ASCII character 10 but expected 33-based Phred qual.
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'int'
    Aborted

Comment

I tried a workaround of changing all the "." characters in the sequence to "N" with awk:

awk '{if ( (NR-2)%4==0) {gsub(/\./,"N",$0); print $0} else { print $0}}'

Which gets me through prep_reads without any errors. Can anyone comment on if this is a safe workaround?

Comment

Originally posted by rcorbett View Post
        I tried a workaround of changing all the "." characters in the sequence to "N" with awk:

awk '{if ( (NR-2)%4==0) {gsub(/\./,"N",$0); print $0} else { print $0}}'

Which gets me through prep_reads without any errors. Can anyone comment on if this is a safe workaround?
        I did the same conversion and was able to run the downstream analysis with cufflinks and the result seems to be fine. I think this is a safe workaround as 'N' is a legitimate character in the fasta sequence and I assume the alignment software (bowtie) treats it intelligently.

Comment

I've added [ code ] tags round your FASTQ example for clarity - otherwise the forum messes things up.
          Originally posted by rcorbett View Post
          I am getting the same error:
          This is with version tophat-1.0.13. Has anyone coded a fix for this?

Code:
          @2065
          AGGCCGCTCCGGGCGCTGGACGTTGGGCTCCTGGCGAACCTCTCGGCGCTGGAGACTGGATATAACACAAC
          +SOLEXA3_1:1:1:22:173/2
          EDHEGHHCDHHGHHHHHCG/HHHHGEDHH=HHHGGHF<?HHHEGHDCHHADB#6@=#8AAG:@@E=1#@>#
          Saw ASCII character 10 but expected 33-based Phred qual.
          terminate called after throwing an instance of 'int'
          Aborted
          The (optional repeated) identifier on the + line doesn't match the (mandatory) identifier on the @ line. Assuming nothing went wrong in the cut and paste into the forum, it looks like something is very wrong with your FASTQ file. This may be what is upsetting tophat.

Comment

Hi, Cole_Trapnell

Does current version of Tophat support SOLiD data? Thanks

Clariet

Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
            Thanks for the heads up. We'll add the bug to our tracker and address it in the next release. Others are likely to have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
              I've added [ code ] tags round your FASTQ example for clarity - otherwise the forum messes things up.

The (optional repeated) identifier on the + line doesn't match the (mandatory) identifier on the @ line. Assuming nothing went wrong in the cut and paste into the forum, it looks like something is very wrong with your FASTQ file. This may be what is upsetting tophat.

Actually, the mismatch between the "@" and "+" names should be fine, at least within TopHat. In fact, the program exploits this feature of FASTQ to make analyzing paired and long reads much easier. One of the first things TopHat does is "rename" the user's reads with increasing integer IDs, moving their true names from the "@" field down to the "+" field and rewriting the FASTQ files to a temporary file. Mate pairs from the same fragment get the same ID, making intermediate results for them them much easier to match back up later on.

Comment

Originally posted by clariet View Post
                Hi, Cole_Trapnell

Does current version of Tophat support SOLiD data? Thanks

Clariet
                Currently, no.

Comment

Thank you. Are you planning to add this sometime soon? My colleague has very good comments on TopHat and I am very much looking forward to using this tool for SOLiD data, which I have access only. Bowtie, as far as I know, supports SOLiD.

Originally posted by Cole Trapnell View Post
                  Currently, no.

Comment

Empty (almost) junctions.bed file...

I have a related question.
                    I mapped Illumina 100nt reads using TopHat in default mode.
                    The resulting junctions.bed has only a single line, "track name=junctions description="TopHat junctions"."
                    When I used the resulting accepted_hits.sam file to identify transcripts using Cufflinks, the resulting transcripts.gtf has about 190,000 transcripts. But, all the transcripts have only one exon!
                    All these things together makes me wonder if there was a problem with mapping across intronic regions in the TopHat/Bowtie stage, with these data.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea on how to deal with this issue. Also please let me know if my description needs any clarifications.

Thanks!
                    -RSK

Comment

Same here

Originally posted by bzhang View Post
                      I did the same conversion and was able to run the downstream analysis with cufflinks and the result seems to be fine. I think this is a safe workaround as 'N' is a legitimate character in the fasta sequence and I assume the alignment software (bowtie) treats it intelligently.
                      I have used "maq sol2sanger" to convert my fastq file.

I had the same problem and applied that little gawk script (thanks guys, really saved me wasting hours).

And Cole: I am using tophat 1.0.14.

Comment

Originally posted by maximilianh View Post
                        I have used "maq sol2sanger" to convert my fastq file.

I had the same problem and applied that little gawk script (thanks guys, really saved me wasting hours).

And Cole: I am using tophat 1.0.14.
                        Where did you get version 1.0.14? I thought the latest that was out was TopHat 1.0.13 (BETA) release 2/5/2010

Comment

TopHat 1.0.14

Originally posted by thinkRNA View Post
                          Where did you get version 1.0.14? I thought the latest that was out was TopHat 1.0.13 (BETA) release 2/5/2010
                          From here: http://tophat.cbcb.umd.edu/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by shurjo View Post
                            If this is Illumina data, were your reads processed with pipeline v1.3 or later? If so, you have to include the --solexa-quals option in your TopHat run.
                            I've had the same problem when pre-processed the illumina file first with maq sol2sanger. I am using tophat 1.4 now and AM NOT PREPROCESSING anymore and it works!! Just use the .txt file

Max

Comment

I did not understand what this paragraph mean in the Manual, i am not a native english speaker.
                              "Arguments:
                              <ebwt_base> The basename of the index to be searched. The basename is the name of any of the five index files up to but not including the first period. bowtie first looks in the current directory for the index files, then looks in the indexes subdirectory under the directory where the currently-running bowtie executable is located, then looks in the directory specified in the BOWTIE_INDEXES environment variable. "
                              what does this paragraph? For example, i have bowtie index (dog.fa, dog.fa.1.ebwt, dog.fa.2.ebwt and so on) in director /home/index, when i try to run the software, i type "tophat -r 200 /home/index/dog.fa test.fq
                              but it always show :
                              checking for Bowtie index files
                              checking for reference FASTA file
                              Warning:Could not find FASTA file /home/indexdog.fa.fa
                              Reconstituting reference FASTA file from Bowtie index

What is the problem?

Comment

You would use dog, not dog.fa. It adds the .fa for you when it search.es

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses