Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining .CIF or raw images from HiSeq/NextSeq?

Hi,

Illumina recently changed the data flow inside their HiSeq and NextSeq machines to reduce I/O burden during sequencing dramatically. It now skips saving .TIFF image files and .CIF intensity files by passing them through internal spaces in shared memory. Illumina technical support confirmed that there will be no way to get .CIF file or .TIFF images in HiSeq/NextSeq, soon.

As HiSeq Rapid V1, which is the last kit version that allows .CIF generation, is to be discontinued soon, there remains no commercially available kit in large-scale Illumina sequencing kits. MiSeq and GA IIx are still able to produce those files, but they don't meet the modern needs of throughput in many types of experiments.

If you're using .CIF files or images in your study, how do you deal with this changes? Is there anybody succeed accessing the shared memory or the "web HTTP interface" mentioned in the user guide?
    Last edited by Hyeshik Chang; 07-21-2015, 09:49 PM.

Hi. This is fairly obvious, but did you try changing the configuration files like you would do with the MiSeq? They're not exactly the same, of course, but there's an field <SaveCifs> in NextSeq.Configuration.xml that looks promising. I've never tried with the NextSeq, so I can't say whether it works or not.

Comment

Hi ScottC,

Thank you for the comment. I could get CIF files from NextSeq by editing the line as you suggested. It looks that they did not change the file format of CIF files except the number of channels in a cycle. Here's my final change set to the configuration file:

Code:
      --- NextSeq.Configuration.xml.orig	2015-09-09 09:40:53.000000000 +0900
      +++ NextSeq.Configuration.xml	2015-09-09 09:41:35.000000000 +0900
      @@ -24,14 +24,14 @@
           <DataManager>DataManagerAllInMem</DataManager>
           <InterOpManager>InterOpManagerTwoChannel</InterOpManager>
           <AggregateOutput>true</AggregateOutput>
      -    <ThumbnailTileMatch>...0[16]|...12</ThumbnailTileMatch>
      +    <ThumbnailTileMatch>.....</ThumbnailTileMatch>
           <WorkProviderTypes>
             <WorkProviderOptions>ServiceMultiImageBased</WorkProviderOptions> 
           </WorkProviderTypes>
      -    <CifQValTileMatch>1[13].03|12.09|2[13].09|22.03</CifQValTileMatch>
      +    <CifQValTileMatch>.....</CifQValTileMatch>
         </Processing>
         <ColorMatrix>
      -    <SaveCifs>false</SaveCifs>
      +    <SaveCifs>true</SaveCifs>
         </ColorMatrix>
         <Basecalling>
           <Basecaller>BasecallerTwoChannel</Basecaller>

Comment

Originally posted by Hyeshik Chang View Post
        Hi ScottC,

Thank you for the comment. I could get CIF files from NextSeq by editing the line as you suggested. It looks that they did not change the file format of CIF files except the number of channels in a cycle. Here's my final change set to the configuration file:

Code:
        --- NextSeq.Configuration.xml.orig	2015-09-09 09:40:53.000000000 +0900
        +++ NextSeq.Configuration.xml	2015-09-09 09:41:35.000000000 +0900
        @@ -24,14 +24,14 @@
             <DataManager>DataManagerAllInMem</DataManager>
             <InterOpManager>InterOpManagerTwoChannel</InterOpManager>
             <AggregateOutput>true</AggregateOutput>
        -    <ThumbnailTileMatch>...0[16]|...12</ThumbnailTileMatch>
        +    <ThumbnailTileMatch>.....</ThumbnailTileMatch>
             <WorkProviderTypes>
               <WorkProviderOptions>ServiceMultiImageBased</WorkProviderOptions> 
             </WorkProviderTypes>
        -    <CifQValTileMatch>1[13].03|12.09|2[13].09|22.03</CifQValTileMatch>
        +    <CifQValTileMatch>.....</CifQValTileMatch>
           </Processing>
           <ColorMatrix>
        -    <SaveCifs>false</SaveCifs>
        +    <SaveCifs>true</SaveCifs>
           </ColorMatrix>
           <Basecalling>
             <Basecaller>BasecallerTwoChannel</Basecaller>
        Interesting... I wonder if you could implement your own basecaller with the CIFs, especially for specialized assays? Or are these files already too far along in the processing?

Comment

Originally posted by bilyl View Post
          Interesting... I wonder if you could implement your own basecaller with the CIFs, especially for specialized assays? Or are these files already too far along in the processing?
          The purpose of my library was a lot simpler than the general use cases of specialized base calling. Mine was just for rough length measurement of homopolymers (poly(A) tails in mRNA). It was not very difficult to modify my previous codes to take up two channel signals than four channels.

Comment

Probably yes, CIFs (among other files) are the basis for illumina's basecaller 'bustard'.

Comment

Originally posted by sklages View Post
              Probably yes, CIFs (among other files) are the basis for illumina's basecaller 'bustard'.
              Is Bustard still being used on current Illumina systems? I had thought that they are using something else.

Comment

Is Bustard still being used on current Illumina systems? I had thought that they are using something else.
                No. OLB development has been dropped a few years ago. After 1.9.4 Illumina had plans to develop RTAOLB, which was an "external" RTA (windows) binary. Well, I never saw a working binary :-) That was back in 2012/13. Then Illumina decided to further optimise on-device RTA (e.g. for unbalanced/low complex. libs) that there is no need anymore to use some external application for basecalling (at least from their point of view). They did a quite good job on that (at least IMHO).

Comment

Hi,
                  We're planning to save .cif files from NextSeq sequencing. We have been warned that new chemistry is not compatible with it. Your comments seems promising, however I would like to be sure that our instrument configuration is the same. We're using software version 2.0.2 (RTA 2.4.11).

Is there anything else we should take into consideration?

Comment

I've also got the answer from tech support which warned me that .cif files is not supported due to memory limitations. I wonder if you saved .cif files on machine or on external drive and if any problem with data transfer speed occured?

Comment

Originally posted by dorix View Post
                      I've also got the answer from tech support which warned me that .cif files is not supported due to memory limitations. I wonder if you saved .cif files on machine or on external drive and if any problem with data transfer speed occured?
                      Is there even space on the disk?

Comment

Just curious, why do you want to store CIFs on a NextSeq system?

Comment

Originally posted by Codemonkey View Post
                          Is there even space on the disk?
                          What do you mean?
                          Originally posted by sklages View Post
                          Just curious, why do you want to store CIFs on a NextSeq system?
                          As Hyeshik Chang, we want to analyze homopolymeric sequences.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses