Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much mRNA can Truseq purification beads bind?

Recently I've got to know that 1ul of AmpureXP will bind over 3ug DNA (http://core-genomics.blogspot.com/20...eads-work.html),
    I'm a little surperised because that I usually use more than 100ul AMPure beads to recover only ~100ng DNA.
    And I think it's interesting to find out how much mRNA can 1ul Truseq purification beads bind.
    Has it discussed before?

mRNA purification beads are coated with oligo dT, which allows them to bind polyadenylated RNAs. Thus the capacity of the beads is determined by the amount of oligo dT linked to the bead. With AMPure beads the entire bead surface binds to DNA (at least that is my understanding), so the binding capacity is determined by the surface area of the bead.

Thus, I believe the binding capacity of these beads is what Illumina says it is in the manual. Also, since the beads are included with the kit, there is no reason why they would provide more beads than are necessary as that is extra cost to them.

Often the reason for using so much AMPure is because of the starting volume of the reaction and how AMPure size selection works on the basis of ratios. So if you want to perform a 1x AMPure cleanup on a 100 ul sample, you have to use 100 ul of beads even if there are only a few hundred nanograms of DNA present.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
    0 responses