No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cuffdiff questions

Hi,

I am working on RNA-seq data (Solid) which contains 2 sample groups and each group contains 5 biological replicates. I am interested in finding the differentially expressed genes between these 2 groups. I want to use cuffdiff for this purpose. However, I have certain questions:

1) Does cuffdiff find differentially expressed genes between the groups or across the replicates?

2) Data can be normalized using the option -N (upper quartile normalization). I believe it carries out within sample normalization but what about sample to sample normalization? Does cuffdiff carries out sample to sample normalization before comparing the groups?

Can anyone kindly answer these questions?

Thank you

I think I can help with your first question.

Cuffdiff can find the differentially expressed genes between groups or across replicates depending on how you input your data.

For example:
    Group1 has replicates A, B, C, D, and E
    Group 2 has replicates 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

#all vs all comparison
    $ cuffdiff transcripts.gtf A B C D E 1 2 3 4 5

#group 1 vs group 2 comparison
    $ cuffdiff transcripts.gtf A,B,C,D,E 1,2,3,4,5

In the group vs group comparison the biological replicates are linked together by commas.

-Pete
    Peter Jorth
    PhD Student
    Whiteley Lab
    Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
    University of Texas at Austin

Comment

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. I used cuffdiff for group1 vs group2 analysis, but all my output files are empty

Comment

Pinki, what does the screen output tell you? Cufflinks output is usually pretty informative.

Comment

Pinki, check all output files of cuffdiff. Did you go through cufflinks, cuffcompare, and cuffdiff? Please check all the outout (cufflinks - gtf), cuffcompare (gtf), and cuffdiff (_diff and _fpkm.tracking).

Douglas

Comment

Hi,

I downloaded the new version of cufflinks and again tried to use cuffdiff. I just used the -N option for upper quartile normalization and my output files are again empty. I got the following warning messages

[09:52:55] Modeling fragment count overdispersion.
            Warning: fragment count variances between replicates are all zero, reverting to Poisson model
            Warning: Using default Gaussian distribution due to insufficient paired-end reads in open ranges. It is recommended that correct paramaters (--frag-len-mean and --frag-len-std-dev) be provided.
            > Map Properties:
            > Upper Quartile: 93.00
            > Read Type: 50bp single-end
            > Fragment Length Distribution: Truncated Gaussian (default)
            > Default Mean: 200
            > Default Std Dev: 80

And this was repeated quite a number of times with different upper quartile values.

Note: I am using the .gtf file downloaded from ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/release-54/gtf/homo_sapiens/ (for the hg18 build)

Thank you
            Last edited by pinki999; 05-23-2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Hi pinki999,

Do you fix the problem already?
              I'm facing the same error message as well
              need your advice....
              how to correct (--frag-len-mean and --frag-len-std-dev)?

Comment

Originally posted by pjorth View Post
                I think I can help with your first question.

Cuffdiff can find the differentially expressed genes between groups or across replicates depending on how you input your data.

For example:
                Group1 has replicates A, B, C, D, and E
                Group 2 has replicates 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

#all vs all comparison
                $ cuffdiff transcripts.gtf A B C D E 1 2 3 4 5

#group 1 vs group 2 comparison
                $ cuffdiff transcripts.gtf A,B,C,D,E 1,2,3,4,5

In the group vs group comparison the biological replicates are linked together by commas.

-Pete
                I used this in command line:

cuffdiff -o diff_out4 -b ../genome/ce10.fa -p 2 -L larval,early -u merged_asm/merged.gtf ../tophat/em/SRR493359_60_61_thout/accepted_hits.bam ../tophat/em/SRR493363_64_65_thout/accepted_hits.bam

here SRR493359_60_61 is one group and SRR493363_64_65 is the other group. This worked for me.

Now I want to run this from a python script. So, I gave a call in this way.

do.call([cfg.tool_cmd("cuffdiff"), "-p", str(cfg.project["analysis"]["threads"]), "-b", str(cfg.project["genome"]["fasta"]), "-u", cfg.project["samples"][0]["files"]["merging_gtf"], "-L", str(cfg.project["phenotype"][0]), str(cfg.project["phenotype"][1]), "-o", output_folder] + [cfg.project["samples"][0]["files"]["bam"] cfg.project["samples"][1]["files"]["bam"]], cfg.project["analysis"]["log_file"])

here
                str(cfg.project["phenotype"][0]) is larval
                str(cfg.project["phenotype"][1]) is early

I get an error: invalid syntax. Can you please help in this. Thanks in Advance

Comment

@bvk: The error you are getting is likely not from cuffdiff. It appears to be coming from your python script. I recommend that you create a new thread and indicate that you need help with a python error in the tile.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                    @bvk: The error you are getting is likely not from cuffdiff. It appears to be coming from your python script. I recommend that you create a new thread and indicate that you need help with a python error in the tile.
                    ok. Thankyou

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses