X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA alignment using de novo velvet contigs

Hi all,

-beware for a potentially stupid question-

I am using Velvet for the first time in hope to get a better alignment in a chromosome than just using my regular 100 bp paired end Illumina reads. I am doing this because the region appears to have a lot of repeats/gaps with normal BWA alignment.

Based on what I've read I am trying out different Velvet parameters to get the best N50 score.

I am using BWA to align the contigs back to the reference (don't know if this is the best thing to do) so I can see if the alignment has improved...I believe bwa bwasw is for longer single reads so I thought this would be appropriate.

However I am stuck on the bwa aln command.

bwa aln -t 4 canfam3.fasta contigs.fa > contigs.sai

It works fine for my contig.fa file that was produced with hash length 21, but when I try with contig.fa produced with hash length 31 I get an error:

[bwa_aln] 17bp reads: max_diff = 2
    [bwa_aln] 38bp reads: max_diff = 3
    [bwa_aln] 64bp reads: max_diff = 4
    [bwa_aln] 93bp reads: max_diff = 5
    [bwa_aln] 124bp reads: max_diff = 6
    [bwa_aln] 157bp reads: max_diff = 7
    [bwa_aln] 190bp reads: max_diff = 8
    [bwa_aln] 225bp reads: max_diff = 9
    [bwa_aln_core] calculate SA coordinate... 159.48 sec
    [bwa_aln_core] write to the disk... 0.03 sec
    [bwa_aln_core] 94738 sequences have been processed.
    [bsw2_aln] read 0 sequences (0 bp)...
    [samopen] SAM header is present: 40 sequences.
    [sam_read1] reference 'SN:X LN:123869142
    ' is recognized as '*'.
    [main_samview] truncated file.

I have looked around but haven't found anything helpful, so does anyone have any ideas ? Or can someone suggest a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance !

Hey there. Sorry you never got any answers here, especially since I have the same question! Please let me know if you figured it out.

Comment

Hi there Genomics101, it's been a while since I've worked on this but I could possibly help you out . What exactly is your question and the background to it ?

Comment

Hey there tracecakes, thanks for getting back to me. I want to align my contigs and/or scaffolds to a reference genome using BWA (or some other means) the same way I do it with the FASTQ reads. I am working on a genome that has a great deal of indel polymorphism - big ones, larger than can be easily captured using regular paired end sequencing. Thanks!

Comment

Have you tried the alignment with BWA/samtools or as you regularly do with your other FASTQs ? I was able to align my contigs.fa file using bwa bwasw (suitable for longer single reads like the contigs) and I could view the alignment using samtools tview. I still have not solved the hash length problem though.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses