Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OrthoMCL duplicate entry error

I have made it up to step 10 of the orthomcl process, finding protein pairs, but have become stuck with a duplicate entry error:

Duplicate entry '5206|CNAG_00003-5206|CNE00390' for key 'better_hit_ix' at /data/ngs/apps/orthomclSoftware/bin/orthomclPairs line 693, <F> line 14

I thought maybe it was something to do with the way I ran BLAST so I reran with parameters recommended but still get an error, although a different one:

Duplicate entry '5206|CNAG_00006-5206--181-0-5206-5206|CNAG_00006' for key 'ss_qtaxexp_ix' at /data/ngs/apps/orthomclSoftware/bin/orthomclPairs line 693, <F> line 14

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks for your help

the duplicate entry error can be removed by selecting only the distinct rows in the similarSequence table

Comment

Originally posted by jollymrt View Post
      the duplicate entry error can be removed by selecting only the distinct rows in the similarSequence table
      Never mind. There was a duplicate or two that I had missed. Sorting and using the tool 'uniq' works but you have to use the command -w and a number (I used 40) to limit the match to just the accession - sometimes the duplicates had different score values and so were effectively unique... Phew.

Any chance you could expand on that?

I have the same error as the OP, my file is 6.5GB.

I've gone through the file and removed duplicates...or at least I thought I had.

I managed to find a list of duplicate accessions and so removed them from similarsequences with AWK. I then also sorted the file on the first column and performed a uniq removal of any next neighbour duplicates...

Every time the same error:
      Duplicate entry 'didi|DDB_G0279353-didi|DDB_G0283451' for key 'better_hit_ix' at /home/cs02gl/programs/orthomclSoftware-v2.0.3/bin/orthomclPairs line 693, <F> line 14.

Looking at those accessions in the file (using grep) reveals no duplicates for that matching.
      Last edited by guyleonard; 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM.

Comment

to check if you have duplicate entries use the following command

select * from similarSequences group by query_id,subject_id having count(*)>1;

this command will give you the rows that are duplicated.

Then you can create a new table that will have only distinct rows.

create table holdup as select distinct * from similarSequences;

Comment

I am also having the same errors as the OP.

Apart from trying ways to fix it I am wondering what causes the duplicate error in the orthoMCL pipeline. Given that duplicates are to be expected after an all-vs-all blast I would expect that the orthoMCL scripts would appropriately deal with them.

Is this a matter of orthomclBlastParser, orthomclLoadBlast or orthomclPairs not doing a proper job?

to check if you have duplicate entries use the following command

select * from similarSequences group by query_id,subject_id having count(*)>1;

this command will give you the rows that are duplicated.

Then you can create a new table that will have only distinct rows.

create table holdup as select distinct * from similarSequences;
          Thanks for the help but I have a few questions:
          1. Looking at those commands I assume these are to be executed within mysql, is that correct?
          2. Will they simply replace the similarSequences table with itself with duplicates removed, or do I need to do more to be able to continue the analysis?
          3. Will this (changing the table somewhere midway the orthoMCL pipeline) not compromise the analysis?

Thanks again!

Comment

Yes, the commands have to be executed on mysql.
            first you need to select distinct rows in a different table(holdup table), delete all the rows in similarSequence table and then insert the rows from the holdup table. I hope this clears it

Comment

Yes, the commands have to be executed on mysql.
              first you need to select distinct rows in a different table(holdup table), delete all the rows in similarSequence table and then insert the rows from the holdup table. I hope this clears it
              Yes, it does. Thanks very much!

In the meantime I had redone the whole orthoMCL pipeline and for some reason got no more duplicate errors . Possibly, some table entries were accidentally copied the last time. This just to inform others that may run into the same problems..

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses