Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible to filter small RNA from a regular transcriptome?

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried filtering (potential) small RNA from a regular RNAseq transcriptome .
    I have 38 assembled transcriptomes of a particular organism in different circumstances. I was thinking that these should contain small RNA as well, and that I could filter them out, based on transcript size, but that it might be difficult to make the difference between degraded regular RNA and real small RNA. The upside is that I also have a well-assembled genome of the organism in question, so I figure I could align the transcripts with the genome and remove most of the degraded transcripts this way.
    Has anyone ever tried this and if so, with success or not?

Eager to use all the info in my data, but still wanting to use the time wisely!

Cheers,

Stephanie

Someone with experimental expertise will chime in but it is my understanding that small RNAs are eliminated from a regular RNAseq prep because of size selection. You may see some that may have escaped but in general you would need to do a small RNA prep to capture those.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Someone with experimental expertise will chime in but it is my understanding that small RNAs are eliminated from a regular RNAseq prep because of size selection. You may see some that may have escaped but in general you would need to do a small RNA prep to capture those.
      Yes, with most RNA-Seq protocols the small RNAs are eliminated in the cleanup steps. Also, the typical first and second strand synthesis strategies will rarely capture the entirety of an RNA molecule, which is a big problem if your target RNA is only ~20 nt to start.
      Last edited by kerplunk412; 07-08-2016, 07:23 AM.

Comment

You could try finding these via adapter-trimming then filtering for reads <30bp or so. If these map to the genome and pile up in specific locations with no mismatches, they sound like small RNAs.

Comment

In addition to the size difference, most RNA-Seq preps employ poly(A)+ selection to enrich for mRNAs. Small RNAs are not poly-adenylated and therefore excluded from the library.

Comment

In my experience, <0.01% of a normal polyA-enriched mRNAseq library ends up being small RNAs. I wouldn't trust that for statistics.

Comment

I agree with previous comments that ~20bp miRNA will not be sequenced. However, you can find primary miRNA transcripts in your transcriptomes because they are polyadenylated. Just download the hairpin sequences from miRBase and search against your transcriptomes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses